Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you have.... >

Do you have....

Do you have....

Old 04-27-2022, 07:36 AM

Default Do you have....

Among my mother's stash I have discovered an embroidered quilt kit for a Baltimore Bride's quilt. According to the internet, this is probably from the 1970s, which is about right from when I think my mother might have purchased it. There is no indication of recommended thread colors other than the picture on the front. Does anyone here happen to have that among their belongings? The kit is from Paragon and the label has No. 01167 on it. The kit is to be cross-stitched and then quilted. The kit does have the printed diagram for each of the designs but I'm hoping for recommended colors if you have that.
Old 04-27-2022, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

Hi! Can you not just use your own colors? I made an "Aunt Bea's Parlor" quilt, which combines hand embroidered baskets of flowers (all different) and 1930's feedsack type fabrics. No color instructions were given. Right now I am working on an old set of state birds and flowers embroidered blocks from Aunt Martha's transfers. Only general color suggestions were given there, not specific thread color numbers. It's perfectly fine if you use your own taste in colors for your Baltimore Bride's quilt blocks. Give it a try!

This is my Aunt Bea's Parlor quilt.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1462.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	639138  
Old 04-27-2022, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

Check out this etsy listing. It contains a picture showing embroidery thread requirements with numbers that may or may not be useful today.
Old 04-28-2022, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Check out this etsy listing. It contains a picture showing embroidery thread requirements with numbers that may or may not be useful today.
Bless your heart! That is exactly the same kit. The bottom of that front paper is missing and that's the very thing I needed for suggested numbers! Now to see if today's floss brands will correlate to the brand suggested.
Thank you for finding this for me.
My, what inflation has done. The etsy posting has this kit (without floss) for $89. The price is still on the package from my mother's stash. $13.99.
Thank you again and again!
Old 05-03-2022, 04:17 PM

I looked around at some other vintage Paragon kits and they indicate the floss included as Peri-Lusta Art. 2 six strand (100% cotton) filo thread. Maybe the color numbers given for your kit are for Peri-Lusta. Couldn't find a conversion chart for DMC though. The leaves and vine look like a varigated green thread was used.
Old 05-03-2022, 05:12 PM

If you don’t want to choose your own color combination, you may need to buy some vintage Peri-Lusta and then match it to something currently available. For the multicolor option, this eBay listing appears to have 4 of the required colors (though not enough of them): https://www.ebay.com/itm/33436124199...832aaa0a9b4ea7

Here is a sample of the green: https://www.ebay.com/itm/31360793668...186114962c3045

Old 05-04-2022, 02:36 AM

Yes, PeriLusta is recommended. Wish I could find a conversion chart. I'm a bit reluctant to use vintage thread, considering the strength it may not have. I do appreciate these findings on ebay as it is clearer what the recommended colors actually are. Thank you!