Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How persnickety are you - when it  comes to sewing/quilting? >

How persnickety are you - when it comes to sewing/quilting?

How persnickety are you - when it comes to sewing/quilting?

Old 04-26-2022, 12:38 AM

I’m particular about matching seams and like to have precise triangle tips.
Old 04-26-2022, 01:53 AM

I love to use lots of pins! The more the merrier! I throw out my bent and crooked pins as I find them. I like having a variety of pins for the task at hand...long flower shape pins, extra fine pins with glass heads that glide through the fabric, the newer Magic pins with the heatproof tips that make it easy to grab as you sew. My quilting friends laugh at me for using so many pins, but I recently heard on a quilting podcast that ,"Pinning is Winning!" I enjoy the pinning process and find it relaxing.
Old 04-26-2022, 02:22 AM

I'm persnickety about good quality 100% cotton fabric, and like others here hope it doesn't fray too much. I definitely don't by if made in China and that goes for more than fabric.
Old 04-26-2022, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

Did you know that one very famous quilt that has made tours around the country has some of the fabric used bought from Walmart? That really caused some eyes to open wider when she told that. LOL
Old 04-26-2022, 02:38 PM

I'm persnickety about the direction that seams are pressed, and not having twisted seams. I will unstitch 1/4 inch on either side of a twisted seam and resew it. I try to plan the pressing direction to give the most nesting and the flattest intersections (but am not always successful at this!)
Old 04-26-2022, 08:30 PM

I am fussy about fabric but will add a lesser quality to my quilt if the color is perfect. I found some of my favorites - Northcutt Artisan, Jason Zenter and Jenny Beyer for $3.99 at the quilt store today. I got out of there quickly and they are closed so the staff can go to Padukah for the next 3 days. I went in for a tumbler ruler which they had never heard of.
I am fussy about seams matching and blocks being square. I am not too fussy about thread. There are a few brands I intensely dislike, but that still leaves plenty that are acceptable.
Old 04-27-2022, 02:52 AM

I also like good fabric. I always have a bag going for donation to a lady who will take whatever I don't want, she does a lot of charity sewing.
I am fussy about color. Unless I am making a scrappy quilt. I won't mix a royal blue with a slate blue, for instance.
Old 04-27-2022, 04:02 AM

Thanks for the reminder. I am trying to incorporate the old with the new. Our daughter gave us some flannel flat sheets because the fitted sheets wore out. I used one for a flannel quilt for our son. Dear me, didn't know she meant for me to put the moose printed flannel on a quilt for her. Well, she sees and uses it as he keeps it at our house:-)

The biggest question I ponder is of those special garments, how do I put fabrics together that go together in a quilt? Same daughter wants a quilt of dad's flannel shirts...but he won't give even the worn ones to me.
Old 04-29-2022, 08:29 AM

I'm picky about fabric. I buy a lot from estate sales, but I am picky.

I'm obsessive about pressing. Always press from the front and always so that the seams nest properly.

I'm picky about points matching. Very picky. Although on my last quilt, full of stars, I was a little less picky because my sewing buddies are always saying, "don't look at my points, they're not as good as yours." and I wanted to show that a quilt can still be gorgeous with some imperfections.
Old 04-29-2022, 06:06 PM

The color is my thing that I am super picky about. I also care about the way the fabric feels. My cheap fabric is only used with cheap fabric and nice fabric goes with nice as they feel different! Lol. Thread is what my machine likes.......