Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Great Meatloaf recipe? >

Great Meatloaf recipe?

Great Meatloaf recipe?

Old 04-29-2022, 10:51 AM
mac

Has anyone tried the Barefoot Contessa's turkey meatloaf? I have and it is wonderful. You can't even tell that it is made from turkey instead of beef. It makes 5 pounds of meatloaf, but you can either freeze it or cut down the recipe. The mushrooms in it gives a great beefy flavor.
Old 04-29-2022, 10:55 AM

I didn't see one similar to my simple low carb version.
  • Finely chop an onion in the food processor.
  • Add in 3 eggs, salt, and pepper and process all together.
  • Pour into large mixing bowl.
  • Add 1-2 pounds hamburger and 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese.
  • Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
  • Ketchup on top-then 20-30 more minutes.
Old 05-01-2022, 06:30 AM

CRACKER BARREL MEATLOAF
I use my Kitchen Aid mixer to combine:
2# ground beef
Onion diced fine - to taste
Green pepper diced fine - 1/2 cup
Ritz crackers - 1 & 1/2 sleeve - crushed
Sharp shredded cheddar cheese - 1/2 cup
Eggs - 3 (if not using mixer, then best if beaten)
Milk - 1/2 cup
Salt - 1 tsp
Black pepper 1/4 tsp
Bake 30 minutes at 350

Combine “frosting” and spread on top:
Ketchup - 3/4 cup
Brown sugar 2 Tblsp
Mustard - 1 tsp.
Bake another 30 minutes.

Old 05-01-2022, 07:03 AM
Power Poster

This is an old post but I guess I missed it back then. I don't like making meatloaf but my husband really likes it often.. So I found the easiest way to make it.
I add half a box stovetop stuffing mix with seasoning (half the seasoning packet if there is a packet) Add it to the ground beef usually about 1 1/2 lbs. Add one egg and chopped onion, I use frozen pre chopped. Top with 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1-/1/2 teaspoons of mustard 2/3 cups ketchup mixed together. : Bake as usual.
Simple, fast, and my husband likes it.
Old 05-12-2022, 05:49 AM

Hi! Here is the recipe my mom and I use for meatloaf, the meat mixture also works great for stuffed peppers as well.
2 lbs ground turkey
1 box frozen spinach, defrosted in the microwave or (2) 13.5 oz cans of spinach drained
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic or 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
3/4 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup of parmesan cheese
brown sugar
ketchup
Instructions: In a medium bowl, add the ground turkey, spinach, onion, garlic, bread crumbs and parmesan cheese and mix well. Place mixture in your favorite meatloaf pan. In a small bowl mix together a little bit of brown sugar and ketchup. Spread over the top of the meatloaf. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour. You can freeze the leftovers or use it for meatloaf sandwiches.
Old 05-12-2022, 07:28 AM

mom's recipe sort of.... Anyway, I use a very simple recipe. 1 pound of hamburger, about a 1/4 of a large onion diced fairly small, 1 egg, 1/3 of a cup oatmeal, a splash of milk, salt and pepper. Place in loaf pan, squirt some ketchup on top. Bake at 350 for about 1 hr and 15 minutes. I often toss in a sweet potatoe or squash just quartered and wrapped in foil. I will microwave some frozen veggies. This is a pretty no fuss supper. The leftover meat loaf makes a good sandwich the next day or so. I sometimes have added chopped bell peppers.
you may need to adjust baking time depending on your oven and pan used. I used one of those narrow loaf pans.
Old 06-01-2022, 04:42 AM

Yesterday I made the Quaker oatmeal recipe and it turned out very well and must pack some in the freezer.
Old 06-28-2022, 09:45 AM

Well my favorite recipe is made with turkey. I am no longer allowed to eat red meat so I get ground turkey in place of beef and then I eat boneless/skinless chicken breasts. I do get turkey breast slices some times and cook it in my toaster oven.
I refuse to pay for something I'm going to not eat.

When you make the turkey meat loaf, make it as directed and add tomato sauce on top after baking it 3/4 of the way done. then return it to the oven and finish cooking to a minimum of 165d. ALSO keep quite about it being turkey and they will NOT know the difference. Make a "new rule". You put it on your plate You eat it. No throw outs. They can come back for seconds if they want and you approve.

So you don't know the difference Cook 3 or 4 miniture meat loaves exactly the same except for the meat. Then freeze them simply as meatloaf using your favorite recipe. Once they are frozen take to moving them around by "stiring the packs" and not having labeled the pack as anything except meatloaf you will be able to prove to yourself that there is no difference in the taste as you do not tast the meat but the spices and using the same spices in both makes them taste the same.

Happy Cooking.

Last edited by MaryKa; 06-28-2022 at 09:50 AM.
Old 07-02-2022, 06:27 AM

I got this recipe off the Kraft website back when the South Beach diet was so popular. They took it down when they stopped making the South Beach salad dressing. Don't use the turkey that comes in the tube. For some reason, the meatloaf won't hold it's shape. This is indeed, company worthy.

Turkey Meat Loaf with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce

2 lb. ground turkey breast (1% fat)

1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed, well drained

1 pkg. (8 oz) Kraft Free shredded non fat mozzarella cheese

½ cup fresh whole wheat bread crumbs (from 1 slice bread)

1 egg, lightly beaten

1 clove garlic, minced

¾ cup South Beach Diet Balsamic Dressing, Divided

1 jar, (12 oz.) roasted red peppers, drained

Preparation

Preheat oven to 350°. Mix turkey, spinach, cheese, bread crumbs, egg, garlic and ¼ cup of the dressing until well blended.

Shape into 9x4- inch loaf on in 13x9 inch pan.

Bake 50 minutes or until cooked through (170°) let stand 10 min.

Meanwhile, place remaining ½ cup dressing and the peppers in blender or food processor; cover. Blend well. Cut meat loaf into 16 slices. Serve with the sauce.

Notes:

How to drain thawed frozen spinach. Squeeze portions of spinach with clean hands or place spinach in sieve and press out liquid with back of large spoon. This is important to the meatloaf holding it's shape.

Source: Kraft website
Old 07-26-2022, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
I got this recipe off the Kraft website back when the South Beach diet was so popular. They took it down when they stopped making the South Beach salad dressing. Don't use the turkey that comes in the tube. For some reason, the meatloaf won't hold it's shape. This is indeed, company worthy.

Turkey Meat Loaf with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce

2 lb. ground turkey breast (1% fat)

1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed, well drained

1 pkg. (8 oz) Kraft Free shredded non fat mozzarella cheese

½ cup fresh whole wheat bread crumbs (from 1 slice bread)

1 egg, lightly beaten

1 clove garlic, minced

¾ cup South Beach Diet Balsamic Dressing, Divided

1 jar, (12 oz.) roasted red peppers, drained

Preparation

Preheat oven to 350°. Mix turkey, spinach, cheese, bread crumbs, egg, garlic and ¼ cup of the dressing until well blended.

Shape into 9x4- inch loaf on in 13x9 inch pan.

Bake 50 minutes or until cooked through (170°) let stand 10 min.

Meanwhile, place remaining ½ cup dressing and the peppers in blender or food processor; cover. Blend well. Cut meat loaf into 16 slices. Serve with the sauce.

Notes:

How to drain thawed frozen spinach. Squeeze portions of spinach with clean hands or place spinach in sieve and press out liquid with back of large spoon. This is important to the meatloaf holding it's shape.

Source: Kraft website
The tube turkey is where they stuff the extra fat & skin, according to one of the people that delivers it to the stores. I've also never been able to get the tube meat to make good "ham"burgers. I personally buy only the ground in the white plastic tubs. I like that the best.