Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Grace Qzone Queen >

Grace Qzone Queen

Grace Qzone Queen

Old 04-30-2022, 06:30 AM

Default Grace Qzone Queen

I just got a new Grace Qzone Queen frame and finished the assembly. I'm a total newbie; zero experience with long arm or midarm with a frame. Up until now, I stipple on my home machine or do diagaonals and stitch in the ditch with a walking foot. I just found out that I need to order 'leader cloth' which did not come with the frame, so I'm in a holding pattern. I am going to be using a Janome 1600P on this frame. Does anyone have experience, tips, or tricks regarding the use of this frame? I've already watched every youtube video I can find, and are there aren't many!
Old 04-30-2022, 06:48 AM
mkc

Originally Posted by EphrataQuilter View Post
I just got a new Grace Qzone Queen frame and finished the assembly. I'm a total newbie; zero experience with long arm or midarm with a frame. Up until now, I stipple on my home machine or do diagaonals and stitch in the ditch with a walking foot. I just found out that I need to order 'leader cloth' which did not come with the frame, so I'm in a holding pattern.
The QZone frames (including the Queen) are supposed to include the long clips that hold the backing to the bars and secure the top to the belly bar if you prefer not to float the top. Cloth leaders are optional.

Did your frame not include the clips? If not, contact your dealer.
Old 04-30-2022, 08:24 AM

I understand that you can do it the way that mkc mentions, but I much prefer the cloth leaders and rolling the quilt. IMO, much less chance of the back getting puckered. I float the batting and top off the belly bar and if the roll gets too big for the clips that came with it, you can buy bigger ones from Grace or you can just float it totally.
Also, it seems a shame to pay all that money for this particular frame and not use the features it has available.
Once you do start loading your quilts, watch this video. She is super detailed about how to do it.
Watson
Loading a quilt
Old 04-30-2022, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by mkc View Post
The QZone frames (including the Queen) are supposed to include the long clips that hold the backing to the bars and secure the top to the belly bar if you prefer not to float the top. Cloth leaders are optional.

Did your frame not include the clips? If not, contact your dealer.
It only came with the clips for one bar. If you want clips for both sides, you have to buy extras.
Old 04-30-2022, 11:41 AM

Watson, your link took me to youtube with a big list of videos. Which one were you refering to? I see a bunch for Handiquilter and a few from Gammil. I already watched Leah Day's videos.
Old 05-01-2022, 12:28 AM
Banned

I have a HandiQuilter Avante. My dealer invented the Zip Quick Leader System and I love it! The cloth leaders are attached to the bars with heavy Velcro. There are separating zippers sewn to each leader. You unzip and pin the unzipped part of the zipper to the top and bottom of the backing and the bottom of the top, then zip it back onto the leaders. The batting is floated. Sue and her daughter, Angie, are the owners of Quilting Connections in Elkhorn, WI. Very nice and helpful people. You can contact them and ask if the Zip Quick will work for your frame. https://stores.longarmconnection.com/

Old 05-01-2022, 02:39 AM

I have the Grace SRII with the Janome 1600P. Am surprised that cloth leaders didn't come with yours ... they came with mine! Getting the quilt started on the cloth leaders can be tricky if your top is a bit wonky. I prefer to pin my backing to the leaders and then using a very strong thread hand baste the batting/top together. l sometimes attach the quilt bottom to the leaders and other times will float the quilt. I've never had the backing bunch up when floating.
Practice on old bedsheets or cheap material and mark your stitch length, tension, speed etc. on the cloth before actually loading a quilt. You will be surprised at how different your stitches can turn out.

Last edited by lindaschipper; 05-01-2022 at 02:42 AM.
Old 05-01-2022, 05:54 AM

Ephrata....Loading Lori's Way is the one I meant to link to. It's the first one that shows up when I access the link.

Watson.
Old 05-01-2022, 09:48 AM
Banned

I keep reading It as “Grace OZONE Queen.”😜