Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Talking about batting >

Talking about batting

Talking about batting

Old 05-02-2022, 10:50 AM

Default Talking about batting

In talking about batting, in the post Batting Prices, it got me thinking.

I'm curious if it matters what color it is. I normally use the Warm and Natural, which is an ecru color, but just recently purchased Warm and White, which is a bright white.

Do you have a preference to the color of your batting, or does it really not make any difference?
Old 05-02-2022, 10:54 AM

It makes a HUGE difference if your quilt has lots of white in it. The ecru will show through.
Old 05-02-2022, 11:27 AM

Ditto what Pekish says!
Old 05-02-2022, 02:12 PM
Power Poster

Ditto Peggi and Lisa. Also it may be best to use a black batt if your quilt has a lot of black in it.
Old 05-02-2022, 03:58 PM

The Warm and Natural that I usually use is a very very light ecru. I've never had a problem with it showing through, with using white fabric or black.
Old 05-03-2022, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by berrynice View Post
The Warm and Natural that I usually use is a very very light ecru. I've never had a problem with it showing through, with using white fabric or black.
I agree. I generally wear ecru/beige bras under white, cream, black, or other colored tops for the same reason. I use a "natural" color of batting, whether W&N or Quilters Dream most of the time.
Old 05-03-2022, 03:32 AM

I love Warm and white. Cotton is white not ecru. I think it helps the colors to pop.
Old 05-03-2022, 04:16 AM

I use the "natural" ecru, cream or muslin color W&N on nearly all my quilts. I did buy a package of warm and white that I found on sale. I did not find a big difference since the color did not show through at all. . I had one quilt that the longarmer suggested that I use black and the "feel" of the finished quilt was quite different. They sent the scraps of the back batting home with the quilt and I would not use it again. I don't know the brand. Just like anything else, it is good to get your fingers on the batting to make sure you like the "feel" before committing to use any batting, color or not.
Old 05-03-2022, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by berrynice View Post
In talking about batting, in the post Batting Prices, it got me thinking.

I'm curious if it matters what color it is. I normally use the Warm and Natural, which is an ecru color, but just recently purchased Warm and White, which is a bright white.

Do you have a preference to the color of your batting, or does it really not make any difference?
I long arm and buy several rolls--yes, white (bleached) is higher priced and always has been,ditto the black and 120" is much more expensive than the 90".
Old 05-03-2022, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
I long arm and buy several rolls--yes, white (bleached) is higher priced and always has been,ditto the black and 120" is much more expensive than the 90".
At Joann's Fabric, the Warm and White 90 x 40 yd roll is the same price as the Warm and Natural 90 x 40 yd roll. (though the Warm and Natural Roll is out of stock at the moment) And, at the moment (at least this morning) they were marked as being on sale.