Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Purchasing 108" backing fabric for your front sashing. >

Purchasing 108" backing fabric for your front sashing.

Purchasing 108" backing fabric for your front sashing.

Old 05-04-2022, 05:16 AM
Banned

Is "sashing" the borders? If yes, I mostly use 45", pieced diagonally, but I do save my left over 108" backing and use it as borders if it matches the top. In fact, I just finished a top where the borders are just that, left over 108" backing.
Old 05-04-2022, 06:21 AM

If the color is right, I use it regardless of the width. I have only had an issue once with a wide fabric, and it was the fault of the person who cut it. When I spread it out on the table, it was more like an hourglass shape than a rectangle. I barely got the yardage I needed out of it. Because of the shape, I think I lost about 6 inches side to side.

I think the wide widths are more cost effective if you are paying MSRP. I also like them for borders because there's no seaming required. I don't have any issues using wide widths.
Old 05-04-2022, 06:40 AM

Not for ssashing or borders but for piecing. I bought a purple/black checked backing for a couple backings, borders and binding. I'm still using it for piecing as I'm getting down to the last bit of it. Think I might have ordered around 10 yards when it was on sale back then and this was before 2018 as I haven't ordered any fabric since Nov 2018.
Old 05-04-2022, 07:32 AM
Power Poster

I often choose wide backings for using on fronts, blocks, borders, whatever. There are literally hundreds of great wide backing fabrics on the market now. I get most of mine from fabric dot com but I know there are other places with good selections too. Our little local quilt shop carries some beautiful wide batiks along with some prints and solids.m
Old 05-04-2022, 04:11 PM

So far I have used the backing and folded it over the front for the binding. But I haven't used it for sashing but I can't see why not!
Old 05-04-2022, 06:19 PM

yes and no ... some backing fabrics aren't the same as their 45" siblings. I bought a grunge backing once that was had the same name as a 45", but it had a totally different feel. It was not soft like the 45" .
Old 05-04-2022, 06:47 PM
bj

I don’t buy wide backs specifically for use on the front of a quilt. But I do try to position the quilt on the backing so I have the least amount of waste. What’s left when the excess is trimmed away I use wherever I can: binding, sashing, borders, piecing! I especially feel lucky when I can manage binding or borders out of it because you get nice long strips.
Old 05-05-2022, 03:47 AM

I purchased way to much of a 108. Gold tone pattern. Definately a "what was I thinking purchase." Now I'm pretending the back is really the front. Muted color so works great as a neutral for my scrappy quilts. I bought both sides so I'm using both sides...lol
Old 05-05-2022, 09:57 AM

I have used the 108" wide backing for piecing on the front of my quilts with no problems. It's nice because it provides continuity between the front and the back of the quilt too.
Old 05-05-2022, 03:25 PM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

Often I find the wide back thinner then regular quilting Cotten. It is not related to cost as far as I can tell. Anyone else find this as well?