Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wow...Surprise Offer to Upgrade Sewing Room! >

Wow...Surprise Offer to Upgrade Sewing Room!

Wow...Surprise Offer to Upgrade Sewing Room!

Old 05-03-2022, 03:40 PM
Power Poster

. I walked into a friend's new home one day and realized how dated my home seemed. I realized my big computer desk was not needed since I use a laptop. It was a piece of furniture that I always had and never thought I didn't need. Out it went. Same with my big tv hutch that we used before the flat screens. I had had the stuff so long it seemed like I had to keep it because it was part of my home. It served it's purpose. That's enough. The big overstuffed chair went, the drapes were next then the old dark area rugs. Got rid of the loveseat no one ever really used, it just filled space. I think we all get use to how things are and don't see what it can be.
Old 05-03-2022, 03:51 PM

I swear men are practical to a fault. My husband still just stares at me when we talk about pillow shams. He just doesn't get it that no one sleeps on them. I explain that they are just pretty and make the bed look nice. He absolutely will never, ever understand pillow shams. So I think he wouldn't mind a bit using master bedroom for a more functional purpose. Since we are moving (this is a new big bold big step for us), we might have to consider such a change up.
Old 05-03-2022, 04:59 PM
Power Poster

I cover the bed pillows the old fashioned way tucked under a bed cover. My husband thinks that is useless, he thinks it's more practical to fold the cover and sheet down to expose the pillows. You can tell who made the bed that morning by the pillows.
Old 05-04-2022, 04:47 AM

I Would start packing and moving into the room.

don't wait.
Old 05-04-2022, 07:36 AM
Power Poster

I've never understood shams either! The way some people have a lot of decorative pillows, shams, etc, just seems to me a waste of time and energy.
My sister does that and I do admit it looks pretty though..........
I've never told her how I feel because that's her thing and it's all good!
Old 05-04-2022, 08:11 AM
Power Poster

I do not understand a bunch of extra pillows on a bed either. Where does one put them when one wants to go to bed?
Old 05-04-2022, 09:38 AM

I used to have a few extra pillows in Pillow Shams on my bed. Made the room look really nice/bed too. We tossed them out of the way on the floor when we went to bed. Until....

One night I got up to use the bathroom and they must have fallen from where they were stacked on the floor. I fell flat on my face when I tripped over them, hitting the dresser on the way down. I think that was the last time we had extra pillows on our bed.

I have to admit, it was much quicker and easier to make the bed in the morning, without having to pick up the extra pillows and arrange them. Now, I just fold down the quilt, leaving a few inches under the pillows and then fold the extra back up over them. I always make my quilts, when making bed sized quilts, the size of what a bedspread would be. My quilts hang down almost to the floor and they are long enough to hang down that way off the end of the bed. And the quilt is also long enough to cover the pillows with tucking in a nice pleat under them.

Last edited by berrynice; 05-04-2022 at 09:42 AM.
Old 05-06-2022, 12:04 AM

Well...it looks like I am going to make the move, but this has blossomed into a much bigger project!
I mentioned that I would really like it if we could find a piece of flooring before I moved everything in, as carpet is not a great option for a sewing room. This has turned into...We are re-doing the entire upper floor in laminate.
And, if you do the upper floor, you have to do the stairs. And, if you do the stairs, you need new railings.....
So...it's looking like a couple of months before I will actually move, but that gives me time to plan the layout and de clutter my current room so I'm not moving a bunch of stuff I don't need. So looking forward to it!
I'm going to start a "Best ideas for planning your sewing room" thread.
Watson