Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding twists into a spiral >

Binding twists into a spiral

Binding twists into a spiral

Old 05-07-2022, 09:48 AM

Default Binding twists into a spiral

Help! I've just learned how to do binding (working on my 3rd quilt) but binding is making me crazy! Specifically, as I'm pinning it to the quilt, the rest of the strip twists into a huge long corkscrew spiral that I then have to stop and untwist - over and over and over. I've tried just letting it hang loose; I've tried making a ball; I've tried making a neat coil and putting it into a coffee cup; I've tried pulling from the outside of the coil and from the inside of the coil; but I still get a corkscrew spiral. What am I doing wrong?? Thanks very much for any suggestions!
Old 05-07-2022, 10:25 AM

I often gently wrap the around a TP cardboard tube and then run a long loop of yard through it - then wear it like a necklace when attaching the binding by machine. Not sure if this would solve your issue, but it works for me. I've also seen people use a similar method but had a wooden 'spool' instead of the TP tube.

Here's another thread I stumbled on while searching for a picture of the wooden spool...
Pix of how I make my "binding spools(buddies)"
Using a pool noodle is a great idea!

Hope you find a solution.
Blessings,
Donna Mc
Old 05-07-2022, 11:56 AM

This is what I use. Binding Babies I have a medium on for smaller quilts and a large one for my bigger quilts. I don't remember where I bought mine, (quite a while ago), but it came with a flower shaped base that they attach to.

In looking further, it looks like the flower stand comes separate now. Flower base stand for binding babies at least on this site.

Last edited by berrynice; 05-07-2022 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-07-2022, 12:53 PM

I think you just keep trying suggestions until you find what works for you. What I do is bring my binding to the ironing board and then as a press the binding in half, I started to simply fold it on itself, so I lay out about 12-18 inches of pressed binding, then start to fold it just folding it around itself until it is all folded. It looks kinda of like a long cinnamom roll where it wrapps round and round except it is laying flat. I then talk some scrap fabric strings (usually trimmed off selvage edges.) and tie them gentle around the binding in 2-3 places depending on how big it is. I like to make the binding before I do the quilting cuz then the binding is all made and I just have to stitch it on. I just untie the binding and lay it on the quilt next to me and I start stitching on the binding ( I don't pin the binding on. gasp! but it works for me) As I stitch the binding on, I will unwind a bit more and move the binding bundle as I go. Yep, sometimes it does come unwound but usually that happens when I have used most of it anyway. I sometimes do get twists but because it is wound on itself it is easier to untwist . This is what works for me, I have tired other methods.
Old 05-07-2022, 01:32 PM

I wrapped some binding that I made around a comic book board same as fabric to save for future use. That might help. I fold my extended top piece to the back or vice versa. I find it easier, and I use my automated stitches to secure, I made a tutorial, if you are interested. Here are the steps to binding my quilts

Last edited by aashley333; 05-07-2022 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-07-2022, 01:51 PM
Power Poster

I just pile my binding loosely in my lap.
Old 05-07-2022, 02:07 PM
Power Poster

I think one needs to unroll a coil, rather than just pulling it out of the center.

Old 05-07-2022, 02:36 PM

I iron my binding in half at the ironing board. As I iron a section, I fold it back on itself so that I end up with the entire length of the binding folded around itself like a cinnamon bun. Then I lay my quilt out on a table and use the quilt clip thingies to clip it to the front of the quilt all around. Once it's clipped on, then I take it to my machine and sew it to the front. Works like a charm and no more twisted/tangled binding while I'm trying to sew it on.

Rob
Old 05-07-2022, 02:46 PM

I do like Tartan or toss across my shoulder. try many ways and one will "fit" you.
Old 05-07-2022, 03:10 PM

First of all, I do not iron it in half lengthwise. It wraps so much smoother and nicer around the raw edge of the quilt if I don't. And I pile it loosely accordion-style in my lap or on the floor next to me.