Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding twists into a spiral >

Binding twists into a spiral

Binding twists into a spiral

Old 05-08-2022, 07:07 AM
Power Poster

I do not press a fold into my binding - I do, however, baste the edges together - I use bias binding - so that the edges stay aligned.

Wonder if one could glue baste the edges together?
Old 05-08-2022, 02:16 PM

And that twisting was what drove me to always do bias binding. EVERY time I tried binding that wasn't bias I had a mess.

I don't iron my binding in half. That creates more problems for me. I just fold it in half and slightly stretch the binding as I sew it to the quilt. And I mean, very slightly. The feed dogs will almost always pull a little bit more bottom material through and the top (which is binding in this case) will be a tiny bit slack. This caused a problem for me. So lightly stretching the top keeps everything even. I only pin on the corners. I either pool the binding in my lap or over my right shoulder. Both ways work well for me. Rolling the binding on something just meant I ended up with it rolling away from me.
Old 05-09-2022, 02:11 AM

If I'm going to use the binding right away, I do iron it in half and, as I go along, I let it fall into an empty waste basket. Then I sew it right to whatever side of the quilt I want. Lately, I've been sewing it to the back and then machine sewing it to the front.

If I'm not going to use it right away, I iron it in half and just wind it over my hand and store it in a baggie that I attach to the quilt top. Then when I finally sew it to the quilt, I take it out of the baggie and let it puddle onto the floor as I sew it on.
Old 05-12-2022, 05:21 PM

I fold back and forth as I press it in half so that it's like 12" loops of binding. I then do what my beginner instructor said and "thow it over your shoulder" so that it lays out behind you. Before I do that I fit it around with the small clips at the corners to make sure that I'm not going to end up with a seam at the corner. Back to the loops and toss it over the shoulder. there's very few tangles. Besides at the corner and beginning/end I don't pin it.