Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Designing Your Dream Sewing Room... >

Designing Your Dream Sewing Room...

Designing Your Dream Sewing Room...

Old 05-07-2022, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by wesing View Post
I just thought glass fronts would make it easier and more fun to view. I wonder if it matters what type of light they are exposed to. I know sunlight obviously can do damage. I believe fluorescent light can as well. What about LED? I will have to check with Dr. Google.
Ask a frame shop about conservation glass. They will be able to answer these questions and possibly inform you of sources if you decide that's what you want to put in your cabinets.
Old 05-08-2022, 11:35 AM

Bad news/good news.
I admit I was bragging about how excited I was at getting our second floor finished and having so much room for my quilting.

Well, the bad news is that we received our estimates from three contractors, and oh, my - All of them actually quoted more than what we paid for our house to do what we want done to finish the second floor! Gulp! Nope! Nope! Nope!

So, dear hubby and I regrouped and the good news is that I'm still getting a larger quilting area. We will be changing the dining room, which is at the moment, my craft/quilting room, into our (new) living room and I will be getting the current living room for my (new) quilting room. Our current living room is big with lots of windows for natural light and we did the measurements and math today to see how I wanted it set up. And, more good news, I will have plenty of room for all my cabinets, and room to put up my tables to have it like I wanted with a cutting station table, a sewing station table, and an ironing station table. Plus if I want the 4th table, there is more than enough room in the center of the room for it. The main difference is that instead of having a computer area in my craft room, I'll be using my office that I currently have and will continue to use it for my computer/printing/quilt designing, which is just fine by me, as my office is in the room next to the current living room.

However, I will no longer be naming my quilting area, The Quilting Loft, as it will be on the main floor. Now to come up with another name to call it....hmmmmmmm...
Old 05-11-2022, 03:15 AM

I'm setting up my quilting area and was wondering about placement of my tables/storage. So far, after watching so many videos, I've changed my mind on placement over and over again. But, I'm thinking that once I actually get everything situated in real time, that the last placement will work.

Just as a conversation starter - Do you find yourself changing the set up of your quilting area, from time to time, to make it easier to work/quilt?
Old 05-11-2022, 04:03 PM

Lots of windows with natural light,
Cutting table as big as you can comfortably reach across, but accessible from three sides (so you can walk around it to cut from three sides if needed/wanted
Storage that is mixed (some bins/drawers, some shelves, some visible to you, some closed to light)
Floor surface that is easy to sweep or vacuum and keep clean
Good lighting without shadows
Large sewing desk with space at sides/back to support large pieces you're working on
Old 05-12-2022, 04:39 PM

I live in the country and we are both aging and realize that in the next 10 years we'll need to move into town so less outside maintenance and closer to Dr. I have a long arm--so I would like to eventually move into a standard 3 bd ranch with a formal living room in front with lots of natural light and the ability to close off with doors from entry and kitchen/dining/family room. I'd put long arm in middle of that living room, with my machine set up in front of the windows and the wall across with cabinets, shelving for Accuquilt and design wall on the cabinet fronts. Hard floor surface--either laminate or click together times if not already hardwood. At one end I'd want a on-wall racks for the 2-3 rolls of bat I always have, along with a pressing station. We've talked about this and I do think there is a chance it could happen in next 10 yrs--although my Hubs hates to move cause he hates to deal with all the "stuff"!
Old 05-12-2022, 05:26 PM
Power Poster

Easy to reach electrical outlets. Lots of them.

Old 05-13-2022, 02:35 AM

MY-TY, I just watched the three Organize your Sewing Space videos (Karen Brown - Just Get It Done Quilts) last night. A very refreshing review of organizing space. The sewing triangle was a new thought for me too and I am looking not just at my stuff but at how my space is used.

Take heart quilters this series is not about buying boxes or getting rid of "your stuff" or what makes your heart sing. It is about organization for smooth use and in ways to facilitate a functional space. Worth the time to view. I am considering rearranging my space after viewing these videos.

Last edited by WMUTeach; 05-13-2022 at 02:38 AM.
Old 05-13-2022, 02:39 AM

Today is the day! Moving into my quilting room. Husband and I are going to get most of what we can arranged, and then this afternoon, help is coming to set up the heavier furniture etc in the room. We unpacked most of the quilting room boxes from the move -- oh my, the packing paper and bubble wrap was waist deep, not to mention the flattened boxes -- kitchen island is stacked high with fabric, We did what we could these past few days, including putting a new door up on my quilting room and putting my batting rolls back on my rolling floor stands, etc. It will make it easier to get my quilting things moved into the room, now that we don't have to deal with all the cardboard boxes and packing material. It will probably take me a bit of time to get it all organized once it is all in the quilting room, but I am looking forward to doing it! The plan is to start setting up my work area furniture and then just start moving things in. Drew up a diagram last night for furniture placement and took a bunch of measurements, so hoping all will fit!

Last edited by quiltsfor; 05-13-2022 at 02:42 AM.
Old 05-15-2022, 12:49 PM

Husband and I have been working hard these past few days. I finally have my quilting room mostly put together! I thought I might post a few pictures. Still have some tweaking to do, and my ironing 'board' is upside down waiting for the cover to be stapled on and then flipped over. And have some odds and ends to put away. And arrange my lights. I like having the overhead light, plus the pole lights so I can make adjustments as I need. I have my three 'stations' a sew station, ironing station and my cutting station. I'll no longer have to shuffle to make room before doing a next step when I quilt! Yea!

The sheet covered 'things' in front of the one window are my two rolls of batting (on wheels) to keep the dust and sun off of them. The brown cabinets are my fabric storage. A full wall of them, plus one in the other corner. On the drawers, the wood is grooved for my quilting cutting rulers (husband made them too!), that are still in the moving box on top. The thin plastic storage on the shelf behind my sewing table are my quilting rulers for machine quilting. Love that I was able to finally put out my tea cup collection too! Husband built the fabric cabinets and the book shelves.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4978.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	707.6 KB
ID:	639377   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4979.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	785.8 KB
ID:	639378   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4980.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	583.3 KB
ID:	639379   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4981.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	646.0 KB
ID:	639380   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4983.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	667.6 KB
ID:	639381  

Last edited by quiltsfor; 05-15-2022 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-15-2022, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsfor View Post
Husband and I have been working hard these past few days. I finally have my quilting room mostly put together! I thought I might post a few pictures. Still have some tweaking to do, and my ironing 'board' is upside down waiting for the cover to be stapled on and then flipped over. And have some odds and ends to put away. And arrange my lights. I like having the overhead light, plus the pole lights so I can make adjustments as I need. I have my three 'stations' a sew station, ironing station and my cutting station. I'll no longer have to shuffle to make room before doing a next step when I quilt! Yea!

The sheet covered 'things' in front of the one window are my two rolls of batting (on wheels) to keep the dust and sun off of them. The brown cabinets are my fabric storage. A full wall of them, plus one in the other corner. On the drawers, the wood is grooved for my quilting cutting rulers (husband made them too!), that are still in the moving box on top. The thin plastic storage on the shelf behind my sewing table are my quilting rulers for machine quilting. Love that I was able to finally put out my tea cup collection too! Husband built the fabric cabinets and the book shelves.

Beautiful space! It is so wonderful to have a dedicated area, have fun!