Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Nustyle Longarm Machine >

Nustyle Longarm Machine

Nustyle Longarm Machine

Old 05-12-2022, 03:41 PM

Default Nustyle Longarm Machine

I saw a listing on a for sale by owner site of a Nustyle 228 for $1,000. What do you quilters say, should I get it? I have been dreaming of a longarm forever!
Old 05-12-2022, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
I saw a listing on a for sale by owner site of a Nustyle 228 for $1,000. What do you quilters say, should I get it? I have been dreaming of a longarm forever!

Never head of this brand but I would caution that you need to make sure that you can get parts, that the frame and machine and tracks are in good shape. Price doesn't sound bad, depending on the harp length--if it's less than 18" I wouldn't buy.
Old 05-12-2022, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
Never head of this brand but I would caution that you need to make sure that you can get parts, that the frame and machine and tracks are in good shape. Price doesn't sound bad, depending on the harp length--if it's less than 18" I wouldn't buy.
I went on the Nustyle website and saw that, while they don't make longarms anymore, they do sell parts. Gauging from the photo of it in the listing, it is at least an 18" long throat. It comes on a 12' table, so I'll have to check if it can fit in the room I'm thinking of putting it in. Or in the basement.
Old 05-13-2022, 05:41 AM

Well, I slept on the idea, and while I really want it, I don't think it is prudent to buy at this time, with the inflation and unknown future. The prices of essentials are going up so much, I need to keep those savings that we have worked so hard to hold.

Last edited by patricej; 05-13-2022 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-13-2022, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

NZ- I know nothing about longarms but you're at a good age to get one. If you did you'd have a long time to enjoy it. I sometimes send mine out to a great quilter in Kansas but I'm not wanting one for myself. Really glad there are people who do longarm work though.
You may not get one now but someday you will!
Old 05-13-2022, 10:25 AM

My personal opinion would be to look elsewhere. There are people selling or trading up LA's everyday. You could get a used LA without all the bells and whistles and it could be a name brand that is more well known and still in the LA business. Although the LA's are just a straight stitch basic machine using one is a whole new experience. Customer service is so important for all the questions that will come up and the learning involved. You don't need a computer or stitch regulation to do beautiful quilting, just lots of practice. Save a little longer and get a machine that will give you joy and not alot of headaches.
Old 05-13-2022, 02:03 PM

I have that machine and have used it for about 15years I do pantographs and free motion I love it.
Old 05-14-2022, 03:52 AM

$1000 isn't a horrible price but add another 1000 if things like a ruler base, rulers, threads don't come with it. You're going to find you want them unless you are just doing FMQ and just doing FMQ will get the job done. Does a frame come with it? Keep us posted!
Old 02-26-2024, 07:19 AM

Default Do you have the Nustyle web address?

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
I went on the Nustyle website and saw that, while they don't make longarms anymore, they do sell parts. Gauging from the photo of it in the listing, it is at least an 18" long throat. It comes on a 12' table, so I'll have to check if it can fit in the room I'm thinking of putting it in. Or in the basement.
I recently bought a NyStyle nu-228 long arm quilter.It's old but still works. I need some parts for it, specifically a bobbin carrier.
You mentioned in your post in May of 2022 that you went on the Nustyle website. Do you have the Nustyle web address?
All I can find is a NuStyle quilting store but is doesn't have a section for machines or parts.
I appreciate any help you can give me.