Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pieced backing >

Pieced backing

Pieced backing

Old 05-12-2022, 07:23 AM

I just want the backing to be sturdy and sort of matchy with the front. I don't spend lots of money on buying new fabric for every quilt I may be.
Old 05-12-2022, 09:18 AM
Power Poster

Personal preference!

I will not buy $30 or more worth of wide quilt backing when I have so much fabric here to be used. I have no problem piecing a back. I do try to use something that somehow compliments the front and binding.
Old 05-12-2022, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Schill93 View Post
I'm afraid I must descend. I agree with the poster. I would rather put a coordinating solid color sheet on the back, than to just throw some non coordinating pieces of left over fabric on the back. Of course, if you wanted to cut that fabric up into 1002 small 2" squares, then you might just have something sorta pretty. But I agree, I have seen some pretty quilts ruined by what some people put on the back. Would you buy a quilt from a store looking like that?

Don't get me wrong, I certainly understand about the cost issue. I just think there are better alternatives than to just slap together a mismatched hodge podge on the back.
If you don't appreciate "hodge podge" quilting, then fine, do what works for you. But to say that quilts are "ruined" by what others put on the back, and insinuate that nobody would buy it, is pretty harsh and judgemental, don't you think?

By the way, I think the word you're looking for is "dissent", not "descend".

See how it feels?
Old 05-12-2022, 10:43 AM

Frankly, unless I know it’s going to be in a show I don’t give a horses patoot what the backing looks like. Our ancestors didn’t have wide backing, they pieced them. Nobody judged them for it. Why are we judging people who do it nowadays? Just because wide backing is available in this day and age doesn’t mean your quilt is “ruined” if you don’t use it. “Hodge podge” on, people!
Old 05-12-2022, 10:46 AM

Would you purchase a ready-made/commercially made quilt with a random bits of whatever on the back? The cost of 3 yards of 108" wide backing from reputable vendors is approximately the same as the cost of a good cotton batting. Any leftover fabric from the wide backing goes into my stash - and is always used at some point down the line. And if I can't use it, my quilting friends always appreciate a donation to their efforts.
Old 05-12-2022, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Do you read Bonnie Hunter's blog? She puts random pieces of what-was-I-thinking fabric together for her backs all the time. I figure if it's good enough for Bonnie, it's good enough for me too.
I totally agree!
Old 05-12-2022, 11:09 AM

I use whatever strikes my fancy at the moment. Whether it is wide back, scrappy, pieced, or plain muslin. Anything will work as long as I get the quilt finished. Most of my quilts are now donated and the recipients at happy to receive anything. If I am making a quilt commissioned and they are paying I may be more particular
Old 05-12-2022, 12:03 PM

The original poster asked how others feel about this, and I quote. "I just don’t get why people spend so much money and time on the front of their quilts and then just use scraps to make the back without much thought of coordinating them"
Note the underlined part. I gave a honest answer of how I feel about it. To me, much of the fun of a quilt is it's two sided coordinating fabrics, and being able to showcase either side, and how pretty it can look with one side flopped over the front. . It is what I like.

Obviously, if someone does not care about how the back looks, than that is also their opinion. It is their money, their time, and their quilt. I have also pieced the backs of my quilts combining fabric from the front of the quilt with fabric from my stash, but I always take take great pain to coordinate them with the front so either side will bring a smile to my face (or the person I am giving it to). I like a quilt to be two sided, pretty on both sides, and coordinated with each other. That is my preference, not the law.

To me, maybe because of my old age, a quilt has always been a two sided commodity, made to bring pleasure no matter what side is being showcased..

Last edited by Schill93; 05-12-2022 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-13-2022, 06:43 AM

To piece (peace) or not to piece (peace) That is the question. It really doesn't matter to me what anyone puts on their quilt backs. For me, I coordinate. But I have made one Christmas on one side Spring on the other. I do love that quilt.

Meanwhile I have a friend who's mom is staying with her to help her with their three children. My friend works as a nurse full time and is also a professor at a university. Her husband is TDY in South Korea. Her mom cannot go home!! China is locked down. Her husband is old and he is alone. Countries are locked down and people are prisoners of their homes. I guess I would ask is this...In the grand scheme of things does it matter how the back is made? If you like it pieced. Piece it! If not then don't. Let us above all be peaceful especially during the atmosphere of what the rest of the world is going through.

Peace to everyone.
Old 05-13-2022, 07:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Polliwog View Post
Would you purchase a ready-made/commercially made quilt with a random bits of whatever on the back? The cost of 3 yards of 108" wide backing from reputable vendors is approximately the same as the cost of a good cotton batting. Any leftover fabric from the wide backing goes into my stash - and is always used at some point down the line. And if I can't use it, my quilting friends always appreciate a donation to their efforts.
I don’t sell my quilts and if the people and charities that I give them to don’t appreciate them (and I find out about it) they don’t get any more.