Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lighting >

Lighting

Lighting

Old 05-28-2022, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by charlottequilts View Post
I have a bunch of windows in my sewing room, but once the light drops (3:30 p.m. in winter), no amount of light from overhead works. There are shadows everywhere. That's why I don't sew at night.

Maybe I am the only one experiencing this?

hugs,
charlotte
I have a lot of vintage and antique lights. I've learned to be careful with this. Other than that, I don't have any suggestions. The lighting in my sewing room is not optimal which was okay 20+ years ago when we moved here. Now I'm having trouble seeing well sometimes and have to move my tabletop and floor lamps around to get enough light.
Old 05-28-2022, 06:21 AM
mkc

I have a bunch of windows in my sewing room, but once the light drops (3:30 p.m. in winter), no amount of light from overhead works. There are shadows everywhere. That's why I don't sew at night.
We used Visual3D lighting design software combined with HomeDesigner to figure out fixtures (all specs) and placement for my sewing room, my husband's shop, and our RV garage. We have HomeDesignerPro, but the $249 version, Architectural, lets you do lighting shadow renderings as well, and the basic Suite for $129 does some lighting.
Old 05-28-2022, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I have these too. One over my cutting table and one over my sewing machine. They are wonderful. But can't find bulbs for them except through Grace company. The bulbs don't last as long as stated. I think I will have the fixtures removed and put regular fixtures in for light bulbs as I posted above.
https://www.graceframe.com/en/produc...ness-led-light
My husband made something almost identical to this for my long arm, and a half size version for my cutting table, using LED light bars (4 foot ones over cutting table, 2 x 4 foot ones over longarm). They are wonderful and because he was able to build the framework himself ( 1 inch channel spray painted with enamel paint) they were very economical.
Old 05-28-2022, 08:16 PM

Ru, I am liking the pole lamp idea, since they are adjustable and can be positioned lower than overhead lighting.

Peckish, could you share what kind of bulb or fixture can be adjusted for color rendering? I had no idea those existed.

hugs,
charlotte

Old 05-29-2022, 04:05 PM

Peckish, could you share what kind of bulb or fixture can be adjusted for color rendering? I had no idea those existed.
I purchased the lamp online a couple of years ago, the name on it is "Miroco". It has 4 brightness settings and 4 color settings. These pictures show 3 out of 4 of the different color settings, you can clearly see how it goes from warm white to bright white.
Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	light 1.png
Views:	22
Size:	566.7 KB
ID:	639486   Click image for larger version

Name:	light 2.png
Views:	17
Size:	516.2 KB
ID:	639487   Click image for larger version

Name:	light 3.png
Views:	20
Size:	458.1 KB
ID:	639488  
Old 05-29-2022, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I purchased the lamp online a couple of years ago, the name on it is "Miroco". It has 4 brightness settings and 4 color settings. These pictures show 3 out of 4 of the different color settings, you can clearly see how it goes from warm white to bright white.
Hope this helps.
Thank you for taking time to do that. This is really worth looking into.

hugs,
charlotte
Old 05-29-2022, 05:36 PM

Stella Lights also have different settings for color and brightness. When my old Ott Lite floor lamps die, I'll replace them with Stella Lights
Old 05-30-2022, 11:17 AM

I should have said that the lights will be overhead. There are two poor fixtures there now, single bulbs, that I want to replace with larger, lighter, brighter to mimic daylight.
Old 05-30-2022, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by WesternWilson View Post
I should have said that the lights will be overhead. There are two poor fixtures there now, single bulbs, that I want to replace with larger, lighter, brighter to mimic daylight.
Aha! Well in that case I can recommend these LEDs. We replaced 2 single-bulb, incandescent fixtures in our garage with these and they are SO much brighter!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	garage lights.png
Views:	31
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	639496  
Old 05-31-2022, 03:20 AM

I think Peckish has the winning solution...now to see if the home wiring job done for the two overhead sockets can be converted to install this light bar.

FWIW I use these floor lamps for my cutting table and machine area (where I also have a machine-side pressing station)...they are great!
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I will add a couple of those if the overhead upgrade is not enough!