Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you mark your different cut pieces >

How do you mark your different cut pieces

How do you mark your different cut pieces

Old 05-31-2022, 08:28 AM

I use Wonder Clip-type clips to hold mine together. There’re great and no pin holes!
Old 05-31-2022, 09:52 AM

Wonder Clips are WONDERFUL
Old 05-31-2022, 11:01 AM

Never gave a thought to using wonder clips. I could probably find a system to do it. Have to think about it. The thing is, at most times, I'll have anywhere from 20 to over 100 pieces of the same cut. (I make bedspread size quilts - twin to king)
Old 05-31-2022, 11:10 AM
Power Poster

A clothes pin or clover clip holds each stack of same cuts with a post it written with the details, then the whole project is placed either un a storage box, drawer or bag
Old 05-31-2022, 11:17 AM

Ziploc bags. I have all sizes (save them when I buy stuff) and put a piece of paper inside telling me what pieces they are.

Like Tartan, I don't cut all at once. I usually cut a few blocks at a time. It keeps me getting up and down which according to my chiro is better for my back.

Last edited by cashs_mom; 05-31-2022 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-31-2022, 11:21 AM

Binder clips are the metal ones with "legs" that flip down. I use those plus all the others out there!
Old 05-31-2022, 02:26 PM

I se zip lock bags and write on each bag with a sharpie. When through with the project, the ink from the sharpie comes of with a little alcohol on a Kleenex or paper towel and can be used again.
Old 05-31-2022, 02:50 PM

All of the above ideas except the Wonder Clips which I need to try. On certain patterns where each piece is unique and I am only cutting 1 of the piece I have been known to label with a frixion pen in the seam allowance. It makes the assembly much quicker.
Old 05-31-2022, 05:44 PM

I have been trying to only work on one project at a time. But when necessary, I stack all the pieces of the same size and same color. Cut a piece of cardboard (like from a cereal box) and mark on the cardboard the size of the piece as well as the identification from the pattern (like piece A) and the number of pieces. Then I clip it all together with a bull nose clip (the thick black ones with the little metal clips you flip down). Then I put the whole thing, the pieces, the pattern, a copy of the pattern to write on, into an art bin. Then I mark the art bin with a piece of painter's tape so I remember what it was.

But I do try to only work on one project at a time. If there are too many unfinished projects, I get frustrated.

Good luck!
Old 06-01-2022, 01:27 AM

If I cut a lot of pieces for a quilt ahead of time, I use cheap paper plates to organize pieces. I write on the plate the number of pieces (e.g., "10 HSTs") or label them with a number or letter. If I'm not going to sew them right away, I stick the whole plate into a large baggie. I then stack them into a project box.