Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Visit and/or Decorate Grave Sites of Loved Ones >

Visit and/or Decorate Grave Sites of Loved Ones

Visit and/or Decorate Grave Sites of Loved Ones

Old 06-03-2022, 03:09 AM

I promised my mother I would tend to her and my dad's grave and to her parents grave. And I do. I include my paternal grandparents grave. Since my husband and I will be cremated and our ashes scattered on the grounds of our college alma mater, our children won’t have to do that.
Old 06-05-2022, 09:05 PM

Yes, I do. I'm the only keeper in my family. The cemetery my parents are buried in has some pretty strict rules, but I actually like that. Twice a year I do a big trim, cleaning and cutting back around the stones. In between, I'll stop by often, with flowers, or just to say hi. Christmas I provide my own wreath. The cemetery is close by, and their graves are easily accessible. For my grand/great-grand parents, those cemeteries are a bit farther, so once a summer they get a good sprucing/trimming. I find the process very soothing and peaceful. My folks cemetery chimes the bells on the hour, and it is such a lovely sound.
Old 06-06-2022, 02:41 AM

I'm originally from Louisiana and that's where all my relatives are buried. When I went back this spring after 15 years, I visited all the graves and put flowers on them. My mother always took flowers to all the graves and made sure they were clean and tidy. I'm really sorry I can't do that. My husband was cremated and I will be too.
Old 06-06-2022, 06:52 AM
Suz

My sil, daughter and I planted some flowers at my husband’s site recently. I don’t visit often and only to tidy up. Like Tartan, his important part is not there, only his earthly part is. And I will see him again.
Old 06-06-2022, 10:35 AM

My grandparents and I use to do that on Memorial Day. Two differnet cemetaries and 6 grave sites. My grandmother told me all she wanted was the grass to be cut nice. When grandpa passed away we had a double monument with both names birth dates on grandpa's. and birth date of grandma's. My cousin was all upset when she grandma's name. Our grandma just laughed, and told her now everybody knew how old she was. I can go to the grave sites. and there are my grandparents, great grandparents, and great-great grandparents. None of the men are related its the women by blood. I made sure that my kids know how and who were related. Both the cemetaries take very good care of the grass, and they have rules of where you put the flowers, and how long they can be there or will be taken off.
Old 06-06-2022, 12:39 PM
Power Poster

Not a part of family tradition, but once in a while I like to visit my grandparent's graves, when I'm nearby. I live too far from my mother's grave to visit, and I have no idea where my Dad's ashes ended up (long story).
Old 06-09-2022, 01:11 PM

We used to put a grave blanket on my in laws graves for a couple of years. We even sent pictures of how they looked to my husband's siblings. Then one year we went and there was already blankets on there without letting usk know. We have never done it again
Old 06-10-2022, 04:51 AM
Power Poster

I haven't been back to the cemeteries where family has been buried since their funerals. I remember going with my grandmother to clean up around the gravestones of relatives.
Old 06-10-2022, 05:20 AM

I live too far from grandparents graves to go. My dad has donated his body for science. Once they are done his ashes will be returned. When my mom goes, she will also be cremated. They will be buried together at a national cemetery. That will be at a distance from me. My DH was cremated as will I be. He sits on the cedar chest where I can talk to him. No need to decorate as he sits among plants and pictures
Old 06-10-2022, 09:24 AM

This is not a family custom in our home.