Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bibb patterns for elderly >

Bibb patterns for elderly

Bibb patterns for elderly

Old 06-17-2022, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

I made the bib with beads years ago for my toddler grand. Easy to put on and long to cover his lap. He loved the fabric print of trucks so was happy to wear it. It has been washed in washer and dried every time he used it. I have used it on every grand since and made a few more. The beads are still the same as when I made it. No breakdown. I used quality fabric so no frays or rips with all the washing. I used the Fairfield Poly Pellets. I have some of the bibs in my car too. Grands and I sometimes have messy snacks in the car.
Old 06-17-2022, 02:47 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I was curious about this. I found various opinions online (isn't that always the case?). Some say that they're washable and dryable, others say don't wash in hot water or put in dryer, some say they break down in about 2 years. They claim to be environmentally friendly, but I wonder if that's true. I also wonder what happens in my washer or dryer, or elsewhere in the house, if there's a tear in the fabric and those beads go everywhere.
i have made a bunch of these with two different type of beads and they are great. The ones I made are over two years old and no one has complained. We use them and they get washed and dried a lot. My grown son’s friend just asked for one because he eats in his car during the day. He told me he loves it.
Old 06-17-2022, 05:49 PM
Power Poster

I put the beads in a mesh bag and then put the bag in the bib. That's common sense.
Old 06-18-2022, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I was curious about this. I found various opinions online (isn't that always the case?). Some say that they're washable and dryable, others say don't wash in hot water or put in dryer, some say they break down in about 2 years. They claim to be environmentally friendly, but I wonder if that's true. I also wonder what happens in my washer or dryer, or elsewhere in the house, if there's a tear in the fabric and those beads go everywhere.
I've used the polybeads in weighted blanket--they are wash and dryable and if they come out they are a mess! with the weighted blanket I first sewed into a plain muslin bag and then blanket per the shop that I bought them at.