Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about when you sell a machine.... >

Question about when you sell a machine....

Question about when you sell a machine....

Old 06-18-2022, 03:00 PM

While there is much to beware of when selling (or buying) through Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, etc.. there are also many success stories. I purchased a $3000+ Bernina through marketplace from a seller in Washington State - I live in Virginia. We spoke on the phone, she sent pictures, I did my due diligence and believed it was all legitimate. I paid her via PayPal (not as a friend or family) and she shipped the machine in it's original box/packaging via UPS. Everything worked out just as planned! Not all stories end so well but some do!
Old 06-18-2022, 04:42 PM

• I too have sold a machine and got paid through PayPal and I shipped mine from Maine to California. No hitches, the deal was perfect. I also shipped a sew easy table in the same deal.😱
Old 06-19-2022, 12:44 PM

If you are doing cash. Call your local police department and ask if they have a location in their building or parking lot for Craig list or other seller transaction room or lobby you could use.
$3500 is a lot of cash to flash around. Or have the person meet you at your bank, so you can deposit in your account right away, without having strangers taking the machine and keeping the cash.
You could ask her for a personal check and call the bank to see if it will clear, or have your bank call her bank while you wait. A bank to bank transfer Is a good idea.
best wishes in your transaction.

Old 06-19-2022, 02:16 PM

A young buyer brought all cash when he came for my cousin’s rv. It was around $18,000.
Old 06-20-2022, 05:13 AM
Power Poster

I recently sold a white FW through eBay. The transaction was fine. However, I had UPS pack it and they did a terrible job. They buyer sent me photos of a broken case (it had been in perfect condition).
I was very upset of course. Went to file a claim with UPS. The woman who bought it took the machine in- nothing broke. Her husband was able to fix the case. So it ended okay but I will never use them again to pack. I know I would have done a better job in hindsight.
I don't know what would have happened had she not taken the steps she took. The machine sold for 700.00 plus shipping although I paid extra shipping to have UPS do a great job. Sigh............
In the end she was happy and I wasn't out anything other than extra shipping.

Craig's list gives me the creeps. I've heard too many horror stories.

Last edited by SusieQOH; 06-20-2022 at 05:16 AM.