Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Misty Pines or Winter Solstice quilt >

Misty Pines or Winter Solstice quilt

Misty Pines or Winter Solstice quilt

Old 06-22-2022, 07:01 PM

Default Misty Pines or Winter Solstice quilt

Hello,
I would like to make a quilt from an older pattern called Misty Pines, designed by Patti Carey. I think a newer version of this quilt is called Winter Solstice. I have the pattern, and it can be made as a throw or a queen size. Every picture I can find is of the throw and it's beautiful! To make the queen size which is what I want to do, the pattern calls for the same number of pieces I believe, just cut considerably larger. I am afraid this would change the look of the quilt.
I am wondering if anyone has made this pattern as a queen size, and if so would you be willing to share a photo of it, and also your thoughts as to how it turned out? I would surely appreciate any input that can be given.
Thanks so much,
Peggy
Old 06-22-2022, 09:02 PM

Here is a link to another active thread on the Misty Pine quilt that might have some of the information that you are looking for. It is such a pretty quilt. Sorry that I can’t answer your specific questions.

https://www.quiltingboard.com/vbulle...n-t299214.html
Old 06-23-2022, 08:55 AM

Found a link to Amazon which shows quilt in two sizes including Queen.

https://www.amazon.com/Pattern-Winte...a-818327487596
Old 06-23-2022, 10:21 AM

Default Misty Pines - size differences..

I have admired this pattern for a few years now but as another has said - so many beautiful quilts to be made, so little time!

okay - I looked at the patterns for both sizes…. Both have 8 columns - easy to figure the width of each column…. I think the larger queen needs a larger scale…. I might be inclined to make both sizes and pick a size in the middle to test, say maybe 9” blocks?

Can’t wait to see what you make!

Old 06-23-2022, 11:12 AM
Power Poster

I remember this quilt! I loved it the moment I saw it. I hope you show and tell when you are finished.
Old 06-23-2022, 04:54 PM

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions here, I do appreciate them all. If I do go ahead and try making this quilt, I will
post a picture here....but it will be a while!
Old 06-29-2022, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by peglh View Post
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions here, I do appreciate them all. If I do go ahead and try making this quilt, I will
post a picture here....but it will be a while!
I’m thinking about making this quilt in a larger than throw size as well. From looking at the completed throw featured in MCCall’s Quilting, it looks like a grid of 8x 8 rectangular blocks (some of which are half blocks at the top and bottom). To make it Queen size you could make more blocks. I found one photo of a quilt make on a 12 x 12 grid. That would mean making more than twice as many blocks (144 versus 64). You could also make each block larger or some combination of the 2.

In case you are interested, the original pattern published in McCalls is credited as having been designed by Patti Carey and was called “Misty Pines.” Patti looks like she released a similar pattern in a similar size called “Winter Solstice.” Patti now has released another pattern in Throw, Queen and King called “Misted Pines.” I think all 3 sizes use the 8x 8 grid with different size rectangular blocks. Here is the pattern on Patti’s website: https://pattispatchwork.com/collecti...s/misted-pines

Last edited by SuzSLO; 06-29-2022 at 09:07 AM.
Old 06-29-2022, 09:21 AM

I have just purchased Misted Pines pattern from the designer’s website. The throw and queen size are both 8 x 8 grids with different size rectangular blocks. The king size is an 11 x 8 grid with the same size blocks as the queen.
Old 06-29-2022, 09:35 AM

OK I see. The throw has the smaller blocks, 8 across. The queen and king have larger blocks. I am just concerned that the pattern will lose some of its beauty with the larger blocks. So I was trying to decide if I have the skills (!) to do as you suggested, and make more of the smaller blocks and fit them in somehow to create a queen size quilt. Do you possibly remember where to find the picture you saw of the queen size made on a 12 x 12 grid?
Thank you so very much! I appreciate all this information!
Old 06-29-2022, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by peglh View Post
OK I see. The throw has the smaller blocks, 8 across. The queen and king have larger blocks. I am just concerned that the pattern will lose some of its beauty with the larger blocks. So I was trying to decide if I have the skills (!) to do as you suggested, and make more of the smaller blocks and fit them in somehow to create a queen size quilt. Do you possibly remember where to find the picture you saw of the queen size made on a 12 x 12 grid?
Thank you so very much! I appreciate all this information!
It. was the 2018 Raffle Quilt for the Mountain Laurel Quilt Guild: https://mountainlaurelquiltguild.blo...8-exhibit.html

They added appliqué and it is a fabulous quilt!