Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New washing machines >

New washing machines

New washing machines

Old 06-25-2022, 06:29 AM

I too bought the Speed Queen commercial model washing machine because it washes just like my very old Maytag washer did (before Maytag sold and changed the brand). It does a great job washing my quilts and everything else too. I had heard the horror stories about the new washing machines, so I researched before I replaced my 30-year-old Maytag.
Old 06-25-2022, 06:45 AM

My new one is a GE, the old one was a fisher-paykal. I loved that one, it used very little water, but it "showered" down on the load and the first thing I noticed after using it the first time, that my lint for each load of clothes was actually a different color instead of the "grey" all my lint used to be. but sadly, they are no longer making the washers and dryers as they are focusing on kitchen appliances per the salesperson. The other shop I checked with at the time had only speed queens, but it was the base commercial model and had very few settings? I can't exactly remember but I am thinking it only did cold washes? can that be right? anyway, the GE is more complicated to use have so many cycles and even a "stain guide" I can pick. It also seems to let me modify just about any of the cycles or make my own custom cycle and as I can easily change temperature, water levels, degree of agitation, although it does not have an agitator which I guess is a good thing if you are washing quilts. I have gotten it off balance once when washing a very thick quilt that was very heavy when it got wet. I should have thrown something else in to balance the load but when I went and redistributed the quilt, it finished just fine. I have learned that doing all washes on "towels and sheets" seems to work just fine for me and I do make sure that I do one "fill" wash cycle and one "fill" rinse cycle. The dryer has been a bit more difficult in that it is also huge and if I am doing a small load, the sensor apparently thinks the load is dry and shuts off, I do have a timed dry cycle, so I am learning to use that when I do small loads and to adjust the temperature. I don't know why they make these things so complicated now. I do enjoy the space in each of them for washing and drying my everyday quilts. Oh, and the one thing I really love about both of them is that the washing and drying time is about half of what it used to be.
Old 06-25-2022, 07:59 AM
Power Poster

My GE top loader has no agitator. It took a little mind adjusting to think of a washing machine without one. I can wash yardage on the delicate cycle in hot water, full fill, and there is no raveling or long threads to deal with. Any good machine that washes, rinses, and spins is fine with me. The older I get the more I don't care.
Old 06-25-2022, 10:33 AM

I bought my washer when I moved into this house back in 2011. This one has the option of less water or more water. I find when washing my bedsheets which would be similar to fabrics I change it to use more water. Otherwise I find part of my sheets are still dry when the machine is all done.
Old 06-25-2022, 02:48 PM

I bought an American made washer with an agitator after dealing with washers that don't agitate and don't get anything clean. Worth every penny.
Old 06-25-2022, 07:36 PM

I had to replace my washer about 3 years ago & it's an LG. When we bought it, I didn't notice that it didn't have an agitator. I thought it had one & that it "popped up" from the bottom where there is a round circular looking thing...silly me! Well, it also conserves on water by the weight of the clothes that are put into the machine. When I want to wash with a full tub of water, I put it on "bulky/bedding" cycle & it will fill to the top. Yes, it takes longer to wash the clothes but I feel better with more water since it doesn't agitate very hard. Plus it's very deep & I have to tippy toe to reach the bottom to remove my clothes. Lessons learned with my next washer!
Old 06-25-2022, 09:56 PM
Power Poster

My husband and I don't get our clothes dirt dirty. He likes to garden but has all raised beds waist high so not much dirty involved. We don't do yard work anymore. No DIY improvements or car maintenance. Our clothes are worn once and then washed and usually can't tell they have been worn. Any washer will do us just fine. A little perk of getting older.
Old 06-26-2022, 05:56 AM

When we sold our house in AZ and moved to PA, the buyers of the AZ house wanted the washer and dryer. They were Maytag and they were 8 years old and basic...nothing fancy. The washer had an agitator and basic settings and lots of water.

The house we bought in PA also had the washer and dryer that stayed with the house. They are new within the last 3-4 years. They are Whirlpool and I'm sure they were purchased at Lowe's. The washer is top-load with an agitator but it has the low water level and it's taken me a while to figure out what setting to use to get more water. I don't particularly like the washer but it's fairly new and we'll keep it until it conks out. We're retired so we don't have a lot of soil in our clothes so I guess this washer will do for now. At least we didn't have to spend additional money to buy a set as we just had 3 rooms completely gutted and remodeled and that was a huge chunk of money. I can live with this washer and dryer for now.
Old 06-26-2022, 08:01 AM

I have an LG, but can add more water. Also I found that I need to put color catchers in a small lingerie bag so they don't get stuck in the drain.
Old 06-26-2022, 03:42 PM

That's a problem. You need water to clean clothes !
We need a washer that WE can decide
HOW MUCH WATER TO USE.
HOW MUCH TIME TO LET IT WASH !