Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you stay away from? >

What do you stay away from?

What do you stay away from?

Old 06-26-2022, 11:33 AM

Default What do you stay away from?

Got to thinking today (dangerous I know) about the designers I don't like because their patterns are so confusing to me. Or the fabric designers with all the large wild bright prints. Ladies that will only purchase from brick and mortar stores because they can't feel the fabric they view online. Those of us who prefer not to shop garage sales because of smells etc.
Or those ladies who only shop certain online stores. Does this hit home with anyone besides me? Not wanting to bash anyone or any place, just wondering.....
Old 06-26-2022, 11:52 AM
Power Poster

There are one of each of those ladies you listed at my guild. LOL I'm the one that doesn't like certain designers because I think their quilt designs are tedious to make.
Old 06-26-2022, 11:57 AM

I have some designers that making one of their quilts is enough for me. For a number of various reasons, directions too hard to understand, patterns requiring special techniques that are tedious, patterns that are mainly for wall hangings especially in a larger size. think square or round quilts. What am I supposed to do with those in a small house?
Old 06-26-2022, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

I don’t really follow trends in fabric. I have favourites but I don’t really discount any designers because there is usually something in their fabric lines I can use.
Old 06-26-2022, 12:47 PM
Power Poster

I love sewing bargains at yard/garage sales. I have never noticed or been bothered by "smells."

As far as the fabric being "clean" - think about how many people have probably touched the fabric in a brick and mortar store.

Besides, I soak and wash my fabrics before cutting them now, anyway.

I will not bring anything that smells like mothballs home, though.

Old 06-26-2022, 12:58 PM

I've come to the conclusion that I need to stay away from online quilting shops! Ohhhhhhh shiney! I need to stop buying! I want to use up stash and stop buying 'new' rulers. Just got another one today, after watching a youtube video at Missouri Quilting!

I'm going to limit myself from here on out! I am..... really!
Old 06-26-2022, 01:20 PM
Power Poster

Your first sentence about thinking made me laugh!!!
I don't like garage sales/thrift shops so if they have bargains I don't get them and that's okay with me.
The fabrics I stay away from for the most part are directional prints because no matter how hard I've tried I get the pieces wrong when assembling blocks.
Old 06-26-2022, 01:48 PM

I sew primarily for Project Linus w/a focus on boy quilts. Older, younger. I like to look at fabric on line especially precuts but I've noticed almost all the precuts have lots of floral fab...not what I want for boys. So I shop my stash for the free table at our meeting.
I really don't like the large bold fab of K. Fassett (sp). Just too loud for me no matter how small I cut it.

If I can be so bold...donations accepted for PL quilts. My chapter donated 300 quilts who were displaced this summer due to the wild fires so we are sewing fast and furiously to replenish our quilts.
Old 06-26-2022, 02:44 PM

I stay far far away from Civil War reproduction fabrics and sewing with black fabric. Love history but hate the dark colors.
Old 06-26-2022, 03:36 PM

I'm with you. I hate working with dark browns and black colors. I know it's because I can't see that well.
I have glasses all over my sewing room, and lights that are so bright that it will knock your eyes out. lol