Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you stay away from? >

What do you stay away from?

What do you stay away from?

Old 06-26-2022, 05:15 PM

Very bright colors. Because of my headache disorder, neon or near neon colors tend to bring up a nasty migraine, so I have to steer clear of those. I actually can't use any of the MSQC rulers or templates because the migraines I get from them are exceptional. That said, as far as designers are concerned, I stay as far away from Tula Pink as I can, which seriously depresses me because she has fabulous fabric lines, they're positively gorgeous, but there's no way I can work with her fabrics.

I'm not picky about where I get my fabric, if it's something that I like, naturally I'll comparison shop and try to find the best price for it. But if I'm lucky enough to go to a thrift store or garage sale and they have fabric and it's something that I like, I pick it up. The way I see it, our hobby is an expensive one to have, so any cost cutting measures I can take, I'll take them.

Old 06-26-2022, 05:37 PM

I stay away from scrappy quilts. I really like a lot of them when I see patterns or completed quilts that friends do, but I just can't make myself be comfortable not trying to match all the fabrics up. I think I am a little OCD.
I also have never, and probably will never make a quilt with Y seams. I have watched several videos but think they must be way too difficult.
Old 06-26-2022, 05:52 PM

I have never been drawn to civil war/reproduction fabric. I tend to think of my sewing/quilting style as more modern style.
I have tried to like scrappy quilting, scraps to me translate to $, but after a few scrappy blocks/quilts, I finally had to admit, I was not enjoying the process. So I now offer up scraps on here or donate to the local thrift shop.
Old 06-26-2022, 07:05 PM
Power Poster

Too funny. My first thought from the topic was Snakes! My phobia. As far as quilting - I guess I don’t do much appliqué.
Old 06-26-2022, 07:48 PM

I have to admit I don't care for Kaffe Fassett fabric either. I have seen some beautiful things made with it, but for me, the colors and prints are just too busy and bold. I don't buy digital prints as I don't like the texture of them. I will buy "previously owned" fabrics but only after I have sniffed them out or questioned their origins as I am very sensitive to odors.
Old 06-26-2022, 08:06 PM

I don't know much about manufactures or designers because I either like something or I don't. If a pattern is too complicated I probably will not complete it. So I may buy the pattern if I really like it, but hold off buying the fabric until I test it out. I really like the color green but it really takes a toll on me, and end up avoiding it as a dominant color in a quilt.
Old 06-27-2022, 04:16 AM
Power Poster

I cannot do scrappy quilts. Wish I could I would use a lot more of my stash. I like the patterns that look complicated but are not.
Old 06-27-2022, 05:23 AM

I have a hard time with the idea that I need to go out and buy a lot of fabric to make a quilt, particularly a mystery quilt. When I saw the supplies needed for the Summer Mystery Quilt from Laundry Basket Quilts (fabrics and 1 background, total 10 yards), I balked. I like to use my stash and just buy a little fabric at a time to fill in the missing parts. I think it is probably like fooling yourself that snacking means fewer calories consumed than big meals.
Old 06-27-2022, 07:02 AM

Another Kaffe Fassett hater here. Especially when all those crazy prints are put together with no place for my eyes to rest. Tula Pink is also pretty low on my 'like' list. I do mostly scrappies because I am usually working with donated fabric. I love optical illusion type patterns and simple patterns that look monstrously hard--like 9 patch and pinwheels. The secondary pattern fools your eyes.
Old 06-27-2022, 07:12 AM
Power Poster

I like Kaffe Fassett but never know how to incorporate them into anything. My KF fabrics are just sitting on a shelf. I don't care for Tula fabrics for the most part but I do find them interesting.