Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you stay away from? >

What do you stay away from?

What do you stay away from?

Old 06-28-2022, 04:27 AM

No question - I hate making half square triangles. I have a stack of 3" trimmed HSTs and another 1" stack of untrimmed HSTs I started with the late DH's shirts (he passed 2 years ago). I only have another million to go. It's like you already made them and now you have to do it all over again when you start trimming. D9P strikes me the same way. When I make a D9P pattern, I make the sashed blocks instead of cutting up the 9 patch.

bkay
Old 06-28-2022, 06:59 AM

Civil War repros. I do not like dark, muddy colors and they don't go with my decor. That said, I have seen some beautiful quilts made with these fabrics. They are just not me. Although I love her bright colors, I avoid Tula Pink. I find her prints rather bizarre. To each her own.
Old 06-28-2022, 07:17 AM

I try to stay away from people who always seem so negative about things.
Old 06-28-2022, 08:24 AM

Well as for my tastes--I like most everything except when the price out weighs the person doing the sewing. I can Not get myself to pay more than $6/yard and many times I can get it less from the stash pile at the senior center when I get the vibes to go check out the pile. We do a take some/leave some but once every week (Thursdays usually) I go and get what is left over as on Friday it is tossed into the dumpster or it gets to be too much. The group meets on Wednesday so they have already picked it over. This time I found Pink Elephants on flannel. I liked it but am not certain what I will be doing with it. It can sit im my ???? box for a while. I use the fabric that is large enough for girls clothing (5, 6, 6x, 7, & 8) No zippers used. I like to use buttons in the front so the girls can do it themselves. Then I make 18-inch doll clothes and give the packs to my church and Salvation Army to be given with the dolls. Once I've done those 2 things with the fabric everything left goes into my stash piles for doing quilts. These are given to the homeless shelters around the area. I was homeless for 3 years as Momma was confined to a nursing home and we lost our home (and all my everything I couldn't fit in my van.) Still I sewed by basting everything together and took those items to the local high school for the kids to learn how to sew at the first of the year. The only rule was they gave everything to the one homeless shelter and kept nothing. I have received a call from the teacher asking for more items for this next year. It will be her last and she wants to give the good feeling to the kids this year as well. I told her to come pick up their load. I had already finished what I planned to give the school.

One thing I don't take is the fabric that looks like it should be used for furniture. I have a lot of upholestery fabric but haven't found anyone to get it to. God will provide the right person to get it soon. Sooner would be nice as it is taking up space.
Old 06-28-2022, 09:01 AM
Power Poster

What a great thread!

I stay away from tiny hexagons that have to be hand connected (EPP?). Also anything with repeating spikey points like New York Beauty style. To me it's no beauty. And I stay away from machine embroidery like the plague. I just don't care for the look of it, especially on quilts. I do love beautiful hand embroidery tho, and I'm working on a state birds and flowers quilt now, from old Aunt Martha transfers.

Love the colors in Kaffe and Tula fabrcs, but they are hard to work with because they are mostly all "mediums" in value. All mediums offers no contrast, unless you contrast them with solid black (or white). Kaffe has come out with some pastels now, which you can use for contrast with his brights.
Old 06-29-2022, 07:27 AM

My husband is always teasing me by looking over my shoulder and saying "Oh, lots of spikey things!" Men.

I don't know what I walk away from. Maybe repetitive boring stuff. Really gaudy fabric. But I don't consider Kaffe Fassett as gaudy. Maybe his newer collections lack the sophistication of earlier ones. Pocka dots and button images...maybe he's lost interest?

Last edited by L'il Chickadee; 06-29-2022 at 07:35 AM.
Old 06-29-2022, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Karamarie View Post
I try to stay away from people who always seem so negative about things.

Excellent comment!!
Old 06-29-2022, 09:05 AM
Power Poster

Some days it is my husband. He used to be an over-the-road truckdriver - now he is full-time at home retired.

Although there may be days he would like to have the house to himself, too. Fortunately, when push comes to shove, he can go to the garage or I can go to the basement.
Old 06-29-2022, 09:22 AM

Hmmm interesting question, hadn't really thought about this til now.... apparently I'm not fond of brown, because recently I needed some for a project and I discovered that my very well-endowed stash was lacking. 😁

I have 2 quilting friends who avoid certain things - one will not do applique. The other refuses to touch anything she thinks looks too hard. I like to be challenged, so I will always attempt things that other people won't. However, there is one pattern I bought that scares me! It's Judy Niemeyer's "Vintage Rose" pattern, and the only reason it scares me is because a third friend, who is an excellent quilter with 50 years quilting experience, made it and had sooooo much trouble with it!

Someday.... 😬😜
Old 06-29-2022, 04:27 PM

I avoid patterns that were written for one particular fabric line or that require a certain template. Am I going to love it enough nake it worth investing in an expensive ruler to make the pattern?

civil war fabric aren’t my style.

and appliqué isn’t my thing.

but give me all the bright colors and scraps and I’m a happy girl.