Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pfaff machines >

Pfaff machines

Pfaff machines

Old 06-30-2022, 05:54 AM

Default Pfaff machines

Can anyone give me a suggestion for buying a good medium priced ($400 to $450) Pfaff machine? I like the IDT system and would like to try a Pfaff. If anyone has used a Pfaff, what model to you have?
Old 06-30-2022, 06:02 AM

I have a Pfaff passport 2.0. It has problems. It sometimes will not stitch at all even though all the lights are on, and I can change settings. Then sometimes, if I have it plugged in, it will start stitching, all by itself, no help from me. This is at full speed; will not respond to any thing I do to turn it off except pulling the plug. I have had it serviced, it behaved nicely while in the shop. This machine may be a real possessed lemon. Other friends of mine love their Pfaffs. When it does behave, it is OK. Now I think the Pfaff passports are an economy line and really doesn't have the quality of a mid to upper line of Pfaffs.
Old 06-30-2022, 06:20 AM

I have had a Pfaff machine for over 25 years and never had a problem. You will love the IDT. Talk to a dealer. They may have a refurbished machine so you can get more for your money that way. I have owned several models and each time traded up to a more advanced one. I highly recommend them.
Old 06-30-2022, 07:03 AM

I have a Pfaff Ambition Essential ($600) that I bought about 5 years ago, and a Janome that cost over $2000. The only time I use the Janome is when I'm paper piecing for the automatic thread cutter. I love my Pfaff , never had a problem.
Old 06-30-2022, 07:47 AM

I love and own 3 Pfaff machines. I use the Amibition 155 for everyday piecing and quilting. I like it best b/c it holds 2x’s more bobbin thread. I use one for travel and the third one for home. I have owned/ used a total of 4 Pfaff machines over 30 years. The 1st one wore out after 20+ years. Plus parts weren’t available. No issues with any of my machines and they are very user friendly. I also do FMQ with all three machines.
Old 06-30-2022, 10:41 AM

I have an older 7570 and an older yet non-computer 939 model and love both of them for quilting/sewing. I got my 939 from ebay.
Old 06-30-2022, 10:58 AM

OK, I'll stay away from the 2.0 - ha ha. Hope it starts behaving soon!
Old 06-30-2022, 11:01 AM

Thanks for all your replies and info. I'm going to a Pfaff dealer this soon and see what I can find, possibly refurbished at a better price than brand new. Your info is so helpful, thanks!
Old 06-30-2022, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by P Ehart View Post
OK, I'll stay away from the 2.0 - ha ha. Hope it starts behaving soon!
well, I think I really do have a possessed lemon. Some folks love their passport 2.0 others are with me. It was a very economical Pfaff as far as Pfaffs go and lots of people got them for going to classes and retreats because it is a small, lighter machine.
Old 06-30-2022, 01:54 PM
mkc

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
well, I think I really do have a possessed lemon. Some folks love their passport 2.0 others are with me. It was a very economical Pfaff as far as Pfaffs go and lots of people got them for going to classes and retreats because it is a small, lighter machine.
You're not the only one. I've seen a number of complaints about the Passport (and its Singer twin) over the years.

The other Pfaff's have a much better track record.