Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Piecing Different Sized Squares >

Piecing Different Sized Squares

Piecing Different Sized Squares

Old 07-04-2022, 05:25 AM

Default Piecing Different Sized Squares

Happy Independence Day Everyone!

I am planning out how to best piece together the outside triple row/column border on my rendition of the finished quilt below, which will have one border rows/column that is 2” square, and two border rows/columns that are 1” square. As you can see, there are lots of little squares, so I am hoping to come up with a way to make cutting, matching seams, and sewing so many small squares a bit quicker.

I know I can do strip piecing for the two 1” blocks that are next to each other, but how would you recommend that I best add the 2” square on the end?

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	7FCBCEBF-1C66-4293-B171-2815059C3E00.jpeg
Views:	347
Size:	673.6 KB
ID:	639848  
Old 07-04-2022, 05:43 AM

I am not sure I understand your dilemma. If you’re talking about the corners I look at them as a 4 patch. Three squares are the 2 inch and one square is a 4 patch of one inch.
Old 07-04-2022, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by toogie View Post
I am not sure I understand your dilemma. If you’re talking about the corners I look at them as a 4 patch. Three squares are the 2 inch and one square is a 4 patch of one inch.
I’m looking at how to piece the entire length of the quilt border, not just the corners. I am trying to figure out whether it’s possible to somehow strip piece all 3 border rows together at one time, or just strip piece the two 1” squares together and then add the 2” square separately, or if there’s a different way entirely to piece them.

Thank you for looking at it!
Old 07-04-2022, 05:59 AM
Power Poster

I'm sure there are many ways to go about piecing this. I would look at the 1" squares as sashing and apply them along with the sashing between the blocks. Then I would look at the 2" squares as the border, make and apply the two sides (made out of squares) and then make and apply top and bottom.

As it happens, I have that same pattern. Maybe it's time to dig it out and *think* about doing some needle turn applique. That's probably as far as I will get, so I'm looking forward to seeing your finished piece.
Old 07-04-2022, 06:34 AM

I would do exactly what dunster suggested. Treat the 1 inch square checkerboard border as its own and then add the 2 inch square final border. Because of the dimensions (1 inch and 2 inch) the seams should line up very well.

Could you please share the name of the pattern? I don't do a lot of applique but might be interested in trying this one.
Thanks.
Old 07-04-2022, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
I would do exactly what dunster suggested. Treat the 1 inch square checkerboard border as its own and then add the 2 inch square final border. Because of the dimensions (1 inch and 2 inch) the seams should line up very well.

Could you please share the name of the pattern? I don't do a lot of applique but might be interested in trying this one.
Thanks.
This is a 1996 block-of-the-month quilt called “Simply Delicious” by Piece 0’Cake Designs. The pattern is still available online via a downloaded pdf at pieceocake.com or you can still buy an actual block sized paper pattern on EBay. (I talked the price down on EBay to the pdf price from the EBay merchant).

I plan to do invisible machine appliqué for the blocks, which is what type of quilts I usually do. Appliquéd quilts usually have larger borders!

Old 07-04-2022, 08:01 AM

Thanks for the info. It's a beautiful pattern.
Old 07-04-2022, 08:52 AM

Because the designs in many of the blocks extend into the 1” square “sashing, you will likely need to “sash” many of the blocks before you appliqué (sometimes on more than one side). That will mean that 2x2 border will be the last units added. Great pattern. I am also looking forward to your interpretation.
Old 07-04-2022, 09:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SuzSLO View Post
Because the designs in many of the blocks extend into the 1” square “sashing, you will likely need to “sash” many of the blocks before you appliqué (sometimes on more than one side). That will mean that 2x2 border will be the last units added. Great pattern. I am also looking forward to your interpretation.
Looks to me that the sashing (i-inch squares) might "touch" part of the design, but I do noth thinkthe design actually "intrudes" into the saching.

I would also do it like Dunster suggested.

You could even make the outside border 2x3 or 2x4 inch "keys" if you wanted to and wanted to make it a bit bigger.
Old 07-04-2022, 11:27 AM

The red circles show the areas that I see the appliqué extending onto the sashing. The appliqué design could be modified so that it is solely within the blocks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1536.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	639861