Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Organizing My Fabric >

Organizing My Fabric

Organizing My Fabric

Old 07-05-2022, 04:26 AM

My fabric is folded and stored on comic boards, which seems to be working out. I place them into 2 tall bookshelves. One shelf for wide backing, one shelf has 1 yard or less pieces, one shelf for stripes (I'm collecting them), the rest of the shelves hold the majority of fabrics. I do put collections together. My stash is not huge.
Old 07-05-2022, 04:54 AM

I mostly go by color but if I have most of a collection, I'll put them together. Plus my batiks are together mostly by color and anything on a bolt is by color. Scraps are by size, fat qtrs and jelly rolls are near their color or where ever I can stuff them.

This photo is only some of my fabrics since last 2020 as I haven't bought any since 11/2018 when I put myself on a "FREEZE". Photo doesn't show all the partial bolts stashed under the pressing station, along the back side of the cutting table or under my quilt frame in the next room. Plus the batiks are in the next room too.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cotton Fabrics 9-2020.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	672.2 KB
ID:	639865  
Old 07-05-2022, 05:13 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
I mostly go by color but if I have most of a collection, I'll put them together. Plus my batiks are together mostly by color and anything on a bolt is by color. Scraps are by size, fat qtrs and jelly rolls are near their color or where ever I can stuff them.

This photo is only some of my fabrics since last 2020 as I haven't bought any since 11/2018 when I put myself on a "FREEZE". Photo doesn't show all the partial bolts stashed under the pressing station, along the back side of the cutting table or under my quilt frame in the next room. Plus the batiks are in the next room too.
Fantastic set-up.
Old 07-05-2022, 01:48 PM

Snooze - Your stash looks like a quilt store! I would love to have all that fabric to pet and admire...oh, yeah, and to quilt with!
Old 07-05-2022, 03:03 PM

I do mine by color also; but, after not that long they are all scrambled up again!!!!!!!?
Old 07-05-2022, 04:03 PM

Default Fabric & stuff

Originally Posted by Quiltah Mama View Post
I keep my fabric in clear bins (sneeze to much if I don't from the dust). I keep all the solids in one bin, batiks in another. Then I have bins organized by usage. Jelly roll rugs, pillows, bags, ect.. in their own bins. It works for me, and I only have to pull that particular bin out when I'm working on particular projects.
Mine are in boxes--old fashion way--with magic marker writings as to what is (supposed to be) in each box. Since I live in an apatment my second bedroom Must contain all my plants that can kill cats and I have 2. So my boxes are sitting everywhere--kitchen has 2. Living/Dining room has over 25. My bedroom has too many.
I cannot put up shelves. My sewing machine sits on my dining room table and all my laundry also is in my dining room along with my washer. I'm to the point of begging God for a house. I need one of my own as I was given 9 rose bushes for free because they did not know if you cut off the dead blooms (dead heading) the roses will put out fresh buds and you can enjoy your roses all summer long And I need to get them in the ground so they will do better than just sitting there -- these are a ground cover rose and they are needing extra space.
Old 07-06-2022, 04:21 AM

I store my fabric by the quilt project. Which is how I usually buy. I keep a cupboard of orphan fabric, and pull that fabric into other projects as the new projects come along. Since I like the autumn, and civil war colors mostly, I have a lot of fabric that works for many of my quilts. Every once in a while, I'll do more of the summer/spring colors, but more of the deeper, darker values. So they work with many of my quilts as well.
Old 07-06-2022, 03:30 PM

Snooze, your stash is amazing. It looks like a fabric shop. I can understand why you have not bought fabric for so many years.
Old 07-06-2022, 04:11 PM

Hats off to Snooze!!!

It does depend on the size of your stash. Mine is large as I want to "shop" from my stash!

In my stash:

1. anything over 1/2 yard can be wound onto comic book boards, and is. Those mini bolts are stored on shelves by colour family. Solids have their own section!

2. Anything under 1/2 yard is in a wire cube bin, sorted by colour (I think I have yellow, orange, red, pink, purple, blue, green, black and white)

3. I cut a 1 1/2" strip and a 1" strip from every fabric I buy, those strips go into separate strip bins by width...great for making either strip sets or 9 patches or 16 patches

Last edited by WesternWilson; 07-06-2022 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-06-2022, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by WesternWilson View Post
3. I cut a 1 1/2" strip and a 1" strip from every fabric I buy, those strips go into separate strip bins by width...great for making either strip sets or 9 patches or 16 patches
I have a box full of strips that are from 3.5 inches to less than 1/2 but not 1/4 inch so they are sitting in the same box waiting for me to decide what to turn them into.
I'm thinking about sewing the strips together and making dolly quilts for my church's Christmas Shoppe and adding the quilt to the bag of dolly clothes that I make. Still in the thinking stage, tho'.