Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
digital fabric >

digital fabric

digital fabric

Old 07-11-2022, 09:43 AM

I've used digital prints and mixed them with traditionally-printed and dyed fabrics with no problem. The colors are quite vivid.
The only issue that I've had, and I know other quilters have had the same issue, is that when quilting the fabrics, you can sometimes get what looks like a run or pull in the fabric. What' happening is the needle can spin a thread sideways or upside down as it moves through the fabric, and since the digital colors are printed only on the top of the fabric, this results in a white thread showing. I want to wash it to see if it resolves itself but haven't had the right project at the right time yet.
Old 07-11-2022, 09:59 AM

In my quilt it was a focus fabric. Brightened the whole quilt. No problems stitching it.
Old 07-11-2022, 10:57 AM

I've gotten and used several yardages of digital fabric from different manufacturers/brands. I think that digital fabric is a lot like the screen printed fabrics, in that it really depends on the quality of the manufacturer. Some screen prints from certain brands are so thin and flimsy, with easy shredding because of the loose weave, and some digital fabric is like a waterproof fabric shower curtain. It just depends on the quality of the product.

I have only gotten one of the digital fabrics that was like the waterproof feel of a shower curtain. Shiny, plasticky etc. But I have gotten multiple other brands of digital fabric that at first glance, you wouldn't even know it was digital. Like some others have mentioned, I have found that the colors are so much brighter.

I believe I read an article not too long ago about manufacturers for the most part, heading in the direction of going digital. As far as getting quality digital fabric, about the only drawback I see is that those who tend to reverse the fabric to get a different shade or color on their quilt front, might not be able to do so with digital because all the color design is on the front of the fabric for the most part.

I also wonder as some have, in that will the color stay as vibrant since it is only on one side of the fabric. Time will tell.

Last edited by quiltsfor; 07-11-2022 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-11-2022, 01:41 PM

Here is a study done on digitally printed fabric. I wish they did a comparison to fabric screen printed. What are your thoughts on it?

https://www.cotton.org/beltwide/proc...paper=L009.pdf
Old 07-11-2022, 05:51 PM

Hmm, interesting. I'm thinking that with digital fabric, that perhaps dyes running and ruining a quilt will be a thing of the past! That would be a very up side to it!
Old 07-12-2022, 07:43 AM
Power Poster

Up for the Paducah show, I of course went to Hancocks of Paducah to shop. I saw so much digital fabric! I asked the salesperson about it and she said, "I'm afraid it's the wave of the future". They can print just what what they need, when they need it. So, no more over-run sales the following years, which is mostly how I buy fabric...

Something about digital fabric just creeps me out. Beyond the slick texture and the white back, it looks more like a photograph than actual screen printed fabric I've always known and loved.