Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pfaff machines >

Pfaff machines

Pfaff machines

Old 06-30-2022, 02:21 PM

So here is my list - I started with a 2054 then bought a 2170, then a Creative 2..0 and now a Creative Performance. The 2170 has moved to my daughter, the 2054 is my backup , the 2.0 is sadly living under the long arm and I love the Performance. Here is the truth - I sold Vikings when I bought the 2054 and my boss was really put out. I had been looking at a D1 but got such a great price on the 2054 that I went for it and NEVER looked back lol.

The older machines are workhorses. I love my 2,0 (which is why it still sits on the floor) and the 2054 is a wonderful machine that goes to quilt retreats with me while the Performance is my daily machine. I am sad that someone has directed you away from the 2.0 Passport but never had any experience with that one who knows. There can be lemons in any line. If you can find a Creative 2.0 or similar model go for it imho. My daughter loves the 2170 (it has embroidery) but the harp on the Creative 2.0 and Performance series is much larger than in the 2054 and 2170 which is why I moved on.

If you can find a used one at a dealer that might be your best bet - but I will add here that the last three I purchased were off a local Craigs list. I would purchase another one in a heart beat - I love them.

Good luck in your search

Old 07-01-2022, 03:45 AM

I have a Pfaff Performance 5.2. It is not computerized. I got it as the model was being discontinued and it had been returned to the store after less than 10 hours of use. Got it at half the original price. A good solid machine that has not given me any problems in four years of use. I chose this model because it had a larger harp. It has made a big difference in my ability to do my own quilting.

When your money is short, look for a gently used machine and one that can be serviced locally.
Old 07-01-2022, 09:06 PM

Our first Pfaff purchase was a new Expression 2038 around 2009. Excellent machine. Not a ton of bells and whistles, but has several stitches and one (or maybe two) alphabet. Most importantly, it does have IDT. This machine was made in Eastern Europe before Pfaff sold out to the parent company of Singer. This was my wife’s machine until she upgraded.

Next purchase was a used 1475CD purchased around 2010 from a Pfaff dealer. It was made in Germany, probably in the early 1990’s. I paid $300 or $400 for it and it has been an excellent machine also. It has more stitches and alphabets than the 2038. It also has a low bobbin indicator.

Next purchase was a Hobby 1200 GrandQuilter. We only ever used it to quilt on a frame. It was straight stitch only and did NOT have the IDT. It was a semi-industrial machine that could sew 1600 stitches per minute. It was also an excellent machine for its purpose. We traded it for a mid arm machine around 2014.

The latest Pfaff purpose was a new Creative 3.0 around 2017. It has lots of bells & whistles, fonts and alphabets. I don’t remember where it was made, but I think it was made in Eastern Europe. It’s packed away right now or I’d look. This is my wife’s machine, and I’m now using the 2038. The 1475 is still in the stable but doesn’t get a lot of use these days.

We have never had a problem with any of our Pfaffs that required major service. Most of our problems have been self induced and the tech just demonstrated the correct way to do what we wanted and we were golden. I would not hesitate to repurchase any of the machines we’ve had.

My sister went to our dealer last year thinking she couldn’t afford a Pfaff and just wanted to look. She ended up finding a machine that she loved and took it home that day. I think her budget was higher than yours, but definitely under $1,000.

When you see your dealer, ask about trade in machines and consigned machines. You should be able to find something that will work for you.
Old 07-02-2022, 07:08 AM

I currently have a Performance 5.0 and a Passport 2.0 (bought to take to classes) and love both of them. I've never experienced any problem with the Passport 2.0 and have only taken it to dealer for a yearly maintance/cleaning. My first Pfaff was a Select 3.0 and then I purchased an Ambition 1.0 both of which I loved. I traded the Ambition for my Performance 5.0 and gave the Select to my DIL's mother as her machine had quit working and I wasn't using it.
Old 07-03-2022, 11:34 AM

I have a pfaff 1217-19. I love it. model before the 1222 with computer. I would check with Brubaker in Pa. https://brubakerssewing.com/ Great people and works on Pfaff machines. They have refurbished ones and sooooo helpful, even try to help you over the phone fix your problem so you don't have to ship it to them. I had to send mine because it needed a new bushing......
Old 07-12-2022, 12:13 PM

I learned to sew on a Pfaff 230 in the 1950's when I was 10 years old. I have owned many Pfaff's over the years and am now down to just 5 right now, 4 Pfaff 7570's and one 2054 which I had up graded to a 2056. I love, love, love my Pfaff's,
Old 07-13-2022, 11:48 AM

I think whatever brand of machine you get, there can be a "bad" one mixed in. Ask other quilters and then go try them out.
Good luck.
Old 07-14-2022, 04:29 AM

My Singer 328 wore out after 50+ years. I got a new Pfaff Ambition about $600 with steady table. It was a big adjustment but I do love it. There were 3 models and mine is the lowest. The other 2 just have more stitches if I remember right.
Old 07-22-2022, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by P Ehart View Post
Can anyone give me a suggestion for buying a good medium priced ($400 to $450) Pfaff machine? I like the IDT system and would like to try a Pfaff. If anyone has used a Pfaff, what model to you have?
The price you listed is for a lower end Pfaff. Don’t do it. Some of their lower end machines don’t have IDT. Consult a Pfaff dealership. I was a Pfaff hard core, but Pfaff isn’t what it used to be. I switched to Bernina.
Old 10-26-2023, 02:31 PM

Default Pfaff Ambition dropping stitches?

Hi,
Has anyone had this problem and figured out how to fix? I have an Ambition 2.0 and I use the Wave Quilting stitch (#67) literally almost every day and it is dropping stitches. No other fancy stitch is doing this.

Thank you for your help.
Cherie