Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
And you thought you had a stash!!! >

And you thought you had a stash!!!

And you thought you had a stash!!!

Old 07-17-2022, 07:39 AM

WOW! That is a lot of fabric and here I thought I had a lot, I know I will not use before I die. I have been collecting since the early 80's. I told my kids to wrap me in it.
Old 07-17-2022, 08:05 AM

Holy cow, that can't be just one persons - can it!!!
Old 07-17-2022, 08:23 AM

My stash fits on 1 wire shelf and 1 bookcase and still I find things I’ve forgotten about.
I went to a yard sale that advertised quilting fabric because her neighbor clued me in that she’s selling a big amount. No, the yardage easily fit on 1 table and part of the said table was bags of scraps. While there, I heard one of her helpers say “when the fabric sells, she’s going to bring out more.”
Old 07-17-2022, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Rff1010 View Post
I showed the 2 motorcycle pix.ro.my husband and he said "oooh, where's that?" We are currently road tripping thru Tennessee (Graceland is today's agenda) so not convenient.

I do enjoy visiting fabric shops while traveling. Bring home a yard of something and then use it with happy memories.
I buy a fabric quarter of same color family at every quilt shop I visit.
Old 07-17-2022, 11:05 AM
Suz

Note the iron twin(?) bed in the very last photo.
Old 07-17-2022, 11:54 AM

I went to a yard sale one time that said it had tons of quilting fabric. It ended up being all fleece. The woman had worked at a craft store and with her discount, she would buy and buy. Now that she is retired and moving in with other family, she is selling it all. She had probably 15 tables set up just piled high and I mean high, with the fleece still on bolts, in all looked like multi-hundred of bolts. She had prices on each bolt and I figured I'd go ahead and get some since I like to use it as lap blankets to watch tv with and the cats love it for their beds. I saw a design I like and figured wow, 10.00 for the entire bolt --- took it to her to pay for it, and she started to unroll it from the bolt. Then looked at me and asked how many yards I wanted. I said the entire bolt for the 10.00. She said no, it's 10.00 a yard. I walked away. I'm thinking she probably didn't sell any of it at that price and that was one of the 'cheaper' prices marked. I don't know what she was thinking.
Old 07-17-2022, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Daddy let Mom buy all of this fabric because it made her so happy!.

I'm glad he gave her his permission to be happy.
Well, isn't that precious? He allowed her to be happy. . .
Old 07-17-2022, 07:11 PM

Similar but much sadder story....a nasty accident during a rain storm caused the death of a lady who had been 'stashing' for her retirement. She had just retired before the accident, and her family was now trying to get rid of that 'stash'. OMG!!!! a lot of it had been stored in a shed which led to sun and water damage. Goodness knows about any rodent or pest damage! (I know I immediately washed everything that came into my house!) Plus there was just soooo much!! Cotton, flannelette, upholstery fabric, yarn, notions, spools and spools of thread, partially finished items...it just went on and on and on!!

I really hope that I won't leave that kind of 'legacy' for my family.
Old 07-18-2022, 04:03 AM

does anyone remember the hoarding TV show episode of the lady with the fabric hoard? I believe she was making Quilts of Valor and people kept giving her fabric, and she felt she had to keep it all. I never got to see it, just heard it mentioned on here.
Old 07-18-2022, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

. My biggest stash is quilt kits. I have too many. I was thinking of my retirement and having all I need to make a quilt in one package only have to buy backings. I'm slowly sewing one kit at a time. I stocked up on backings a few weeks ago to finish many more of the kits. Anyone comes to my sewing room and says Oh I like that fabric, they leave with it. I'm destashing a lot of my yardage.