Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you be quilting? >

Would you be quilting?

Would you be quilting?

Old 07-20-2022, 11:44 AM

Put me in the post internet stage. One of my best friends was a quilter. She did beautiful work. I wanted to make ONE quilt, so I put it on my bucket list.

I went to the quilt shop and was promptly instructed that I could never make a quilt without her class. I had sewn clothes (very well) in teen years, so I figured that quilting couldn't be that hard. Very offended, I was determined that I could make a quilt.

The ladies at another quilt shop told me that starting with a log cabin might be the wrong start. So I made a D9P. It was decent. I have to credit the ladies at Urban Spools in Dallas, the internet and the ladies on GardenWeb quilting forum.

So, no I probably wouldn't be quilting if there was no internet quilting community.

bkay
Old 07-20-2022, 11:44 AM

I too started before the Internet. My BIL is looking for quilts I did for my sister from long ago. She passed away last November and I thought their maids might have gone off with them after my BIL told them to take what ever. One is from 1990, oriental. I would like that one but the others I don't really remember much. it may be nice to see them again tough.
I got into Internet swapping big time after awhile and did that for years. enjoyed every minute of it. (me too OneByOne)
Old 07-20-2022, 08:45 PM

Pre-net here. Would sit and play under the quilts as my mother, grand-mothers and many aunts came togrther for a quilting bee. Usually took a week for them to finish 4-6 quilts (depending on the sizes). All of my Momma's family quilted. Of course I never knew anything about computers as they had not even been thought of back in the day. NOW I can't live without it. So glad to be able to reach out to new friends as I am alone 24/7/365(6). My man has been gone for 51 years and I never looked for another. We were not even married when he was murdered. I never even came close to finding the love that he gave me and never have cared that I did not.
Old 07-21-2022, 02:51 AM

I sewed long before the easy access to the internet. Computer access to the quilting world has made it so easy to learn new techniques and hints from others. I would still be quilting but would be following books and borrowed patterns from other quilters. Likely less adventuresome.
Old 07-21-2022, 02:52 AM

Pre-internet, I made one quilt a year, mostly by hand. I didn't have many, if any, UFOs. The internet has spawned a bunch of UFOs here. So many ideas, so little time!
Old 07-21-2022, 03:16 AM

Everything I know about quilting, I learned from skilled people on the internet.

It all started when I wanted to redecorate my empty nest....surfing the internet, I saw a sage-green quilt, and thought....how on earth was that made?!?
Before that, I only knew about duvets.

Two of my earliest teachers was Kaye Wood and Bonnie Hunter.
Old 07-21-2022, 03:18 AM

another one here pre-internet. Started in 1979, used to get books out of the library and taught myself, for the most part. I'm sure I would get a lot more quilting done if there was no internet.
Old 07-21-2022, 03:23 AM

My first quilt was for my first born son, back in 1978...maybe the internet was just starting back then, I've done almost everything in fabric....wedding gowns, country doll, soft sculpture animals, pillows, and quilts. Nowadays I just like to dabble with quilting as I seem to be more into cross stitch.
Old 07-21-2022, 03:26 AM

I learned before internet and even before rotary cutters! I'm feeling rather old after that statement :-) Self taught with no quilters in my family to learn from and also no quilt shop within a two hour drive. There was one quilt magazine and it only had black and white photos. I was determined to learn the process and did have sewing skills under my belt from an early age. Now I teach at a quilt shop and quilt almost every day.
Old 07-21-2022, 04:03 AM

Another pre-internet here. Altho, one of my first reactions to quilting was, "now why in the world would I want to cut up fabric into small pieces and then turn around and sew it back together". That quickly changed after I became friends with another volunteer at the college theater dept. She showed me a lot of what could be done with "small pieces" but I later realized she was some-what of a "quilt police". I have learned a lot from the internet, also have collected way too many patterns from there