Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you be quilting? >

Would you be quilting?

Would you be quilting?

Old 07-21-2022, 06:01 AM

I also would still be quilting, most of my ideas come from browsing the quilt shops, seeing other quilts and magazines. Internet is just another way to look at what others are doing. Love the Quilting Board and hearing from all of you.
Old 07-21-2022, 08:27 AM

I also began without the internet, and don't doubt I would have pursued quilting without it, but it would have been more difficult because the quilt shop I started out with closed after about three years. I now buy all of my fabric on-line, and the quilting support on the internet adds so much to the experience.
Old 07-21-2022, 09:05 AM

My mom quilted all my life...we grew up under the swinging quilt frames...she handquilted all her quilts...after I lost her and one of my sisters the same year, I got all of both their quilting supplies..I was working at the time and didn't really get started till later..was grieving for both...My first quilt was an around the world and I pieced it all by hand..I still have it..it hangs on a ladder in my sewing room..I have a bunch of my mother's quilts all pieced by hand and lots are hand quilted.. I have a beautiful sewing room, and I'm in it every day, whether I'm quilting or not..I just got me a 5ft long arm frame with a 16" Janome long arm...am in love with it...my neice has ask me to make her 3 boys their t-shirt quilts..so that is my next project....the older two she wants 2 a piece, cause they have so many shirts, the little one, he only gets one..so that's 5 quilts I will make, so I will be busy for a while...which makes me very happy...When my hubby passed away in 2018, I stayed in our home of 56 years for 2 years, then I sold and my youngest daughter and hubby built a new home, and made a suite for me, bedroom, bath and sewing room...so I have been here over a year...love it..but miss my old home...I will be 80, Aug 3rd, so it was time to downsize and my health is good, so I hope to have many more years of quilting and enjoying life....Sorry this is long, but I love the quilting board, read it first thing every morning...
Old 07-21-2022, 09:23 AM

Back in the 1990s -PBS- Saturday mornings with Alex Anderson, Carol Duval, Eleanor Burns and Nancy Z. Boy, do I appreciate those ladies! And there were many others back then. Thank you all.
Old 07-21-2022, 09:44 AM

Yes, I would be quilting. I would spend a fortune on books and magazines. 1CharmShort, you reminded me that Carol Duval was my nap giver in my son's preschool days. I would pick him up about 1 and when we got home, I would say, let's see what Carol is making today (the show came on at 1). Her voice was so calm and patient, he would go to sleep in about 10 minutes, then I would enjoy the rest of the show.
Old 07-21-2022, 11:15 AM

Pre internet here. But I went on a 15 year hiatus from quilt making and when I got back into it, the internet was my main source for inspiration and learning new piecing and quilting skills.

Rob
Old 07-21-2022, 02:37 PM
Power Poster

I've been quilting for over thirty years and started when I saw Alex Anderson on a PBS show. I bought a book and taught myself how to do the basics. I haven't stopped.
Old 07-21-2022, 03:00 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
I've been quilting for over thirty years and started when I saw Alex Anderson on a PBS show. I bought a book and taught myself how to do the basics. I haven't stopped.
I started out watching Alex Anderson on Simply Quilts while I ate my breakfast before work. Never in a million years did I think I would do it. I never told anyone. When I retired my late son said to me “ now you can make me a quilt”. What?? I said I don’t know how to quilt. He said well you are retired so you can learn. What??? Next day I turned the page in the local paper and an ad for a beginner quilting class through the parks system was announced. And I did make him that first quilt. Some things are meant to be
Old 07-21-2022, 08:30 PM

I quilted pre-internet. I remember getting on a quilting board on Prodigy using dial-up and thought that it was so wonderful - to be able to connect with quilters I didn't know and learn new things. It's where I first heard about Mary Jo's Cloth World in Gastonia, NC and included it as a stop on a family trip south (from NY) in 1994. I would still be a quilter without the internet but I'm grateful for all the things I've learned, the millions of ideas I've gotten and the many, many yards of fabric I've bought online since it came along.
Old 07-22-2022, 07:22 AM

I also started way before internet. I took a lot of classes from my local quilt stores.
I love all the ideas I get from the internet. Too many, actually!