Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another quilt label question >

Another quilt label question

Another quilt label question

Old 07-22-2022, 11:58 AM

Default Another quilt label question

So..I have my embroidered label in hand. I just finished sewing binding to back of quilt.

Do I attach the label before or after it's washed? Perhaps it would need to be washed again after doing that anyhow to remove any oils from my hands?? Which I then suppose it makes my initial question a moot point, lol.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 07-22-2022, 01:53 PM

I usually attach the label and then wash the quilt.

The label is placed in the corner of the quilt and two corners of binding are sewn over the label. I only have to hand stitch two sides of the label onto the quilt. I also double fold the label fabric. There is always a little extra fabric in case of a needed repair.
Old 07-22-2022, 04:52 PM
Power Poster

I think it would be easier to attach the label before the quilt is washed .

Because the fabric/batting will not have done whatever shrinking/puckering it does when/after it has been washed.
Old 07-22-2022, 10:32 PM

I always attach first. I place the label in the lower corner when I bind the quilt then I wash the quilt.
Old 07-23-2022, 04:31 AM

I learned from somewhere, perhaps here, to sew my label into the seam of the binding as mentioned above. Rationale was to keep the label in place for the life of the quilt, it is harder to take the label off and steal the quilt (Yes, we all think this would not happen to us, but it does.) and to simply save time.

I use a 4.5" square of white or off white fabric folded on the diagonal, write on the information, sew it into the seams of one corner of the quilt on two sides, then finish stitching the binding on as usual. Lastly, I hand stitch the one side with tiny stitches. And yes, I leave the square doubled to avoid the shadowing of the backing print underneath. This has worked for me for 20 plus years. Occasionally, I will write directly onto the quilt in the corner but not often because of the print or color of the back.

Obviously, wash after the label is securely on the quilt.
Old 07-23-2022, 07:08 AM

I make a triangle label so it fits nicely in a bottom corner and I only have to hand sew one edge by hand as the other 2 edges will be tacked down when I stitch down the binding and then hand sew it to the other side while watching TV at night. Keeps me from munching.
Old 07-24-2022, 01:55 AM

Grrrrrr.... I have no idea what made me decide to do this as I never ever have done it before, but I wrote on my label and then put it on my quilt. I usually write on it after doing the binding. Anywho, when I put the binding on, it covered the edge of some of the writing on the label. Not a big issue in the grand scheme of things, but frustrating when I had thought I was done with this quilt. So, after a few choice words to myself, I replaced the label with a blank this time and did the writing on it like I usually do and put the binding back where it belonged.

So, a question, do you usually prepare your label before you put it on the quilt, or do you wait until it is on to write on it, if you are using that type of label.

Last edited by quiltsfor; 07-24-2022 at 01:58 AM.
Old 07-24-2022, 04:12 AM

I write my label before putting it on my quilt. That way if the words aren't centered or I misspell a word or make an ink blob, I do the Eleanor Burns toss and start again.
Old 08-28-2022, 09:10 PM

I don't 'attach' a label. All my labels are embroidered onto the quilt. Takes a bit of time but I also like the fact that people are not going to take all that stitching out-mostly. I knoe some might have nothing better to do but most will leave the stitching alone.