Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting machine issues >

quilting machine issues

quilting machine issues

Old 07-22-2022, 10:38 PM
Gay

Default quilting machine issues

After the machine tech did an overhall on my machine and frame I have made and quilted two large quilts with no problems this year. Today we put my DDs masterpiece up and I find issues with the stitching on the back. Have played with the tensions, cleaned the bobbin and casing with no joy, and am at my wits' end. DD found a video that says something about a lip too close to the shuttle, but I can't see the connection to the problem, and don't know what to do with that either. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	error 1.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	639988   Click image for larger version

Name:	error 2.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	639989  
Old 07-23-2022, 02:07 AM

Have you tried changing the needle? I once put in a new needle and it was defective and gave me fits from the start.
I hope you resolve your issue soon!
Old 07-23-2022, 03:08 AM

Did you possibly forget to advance the quilt enough before getting into the next row? I've done that before and that was the issue...had to carefully rip it all out. Changing the needle as suggested wouldn't hurt now either.
Old 07-23-2022, 03:46 AM

do you use polyester thread? i fined i get a better job done with polyester thread
Old 07-23-2022, 08:43 AM

it looks like tension issue is this free motion or computer ? If its loose on the bottom it's the top tension and also if it is fmq it is your speed
Old 07-23-2022, 11:27 AM
Power Poster

Some things to check -

Be sure the top thread is correctly threaded, especially around the tension disk.
Be sure to clean thoroughly under the needle plate.
Be sure the bobbin case is clean.
Be sure the bobbin itself is wound correctly - it shouldn't be "mushy" and it shouldn't be too tight.

Try a different bobbin, a different thread (top and bottom) and see if the problem persists.

What kind of longarm are you using? If you can call a dealer or the factory for help, don't hesitate to do so.

Old 07-23-2022, 08:03 PM

If you have a machine with a round shank on the top of the needle, twist the needle slightly to the right. I run my HQ with the needle twisted at all times. Makes a huge difference.
Old 07-24-2022, 09:20 AM

On my Gammil machine, two problems;
1) need machine oiled 12 hours before stitching.
2) when replacing needle, because it had a round shaft, to be sure it was in straight would put a pin through the eye of needle to hold in place while tightening the screw.

Once the bobbin case was out of round. Have no idea what happened. It looked perfectly fine. When put in place, the thread pulled off with mixed tensions. Replace bobbin case.
Old 07-24-2022, 03:40 PM
Gay

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I did all that first, even changed needles, threads, so now I'm waiting on the repair man to call me. He lives 2 hours away so no visit from him, and yes, I believe it is a tension issue.
Old 07-24-2022, 03:57 PM

Are you using the same thread in both top and bottom? Had a problem with this once.