Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Turning twenty - sew easy >

Turning twenty - sew easy

Turning twenty - sew easy

Old 07-23-2022, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

Because there are no points to worry about then all you have to do is square up the blocks all the same size. I've been quilting for decades and still get this to happen every now and then. I find it best to cut and make one block first then adjust as needed Don't cut all of the pieces at one time.
Old 07-23-2022, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Goldenleaf View Post
So….. I’ve started making a lap quilt from this pattern but as I’m a relatively new sewer the edges to the blocks aren’t straight but dip in and out where the fabrics join. I’ve realised it’s to do with fabric ‘creep’ and me letting my sewing machine do it’s own thing rather than tensioning the fabric but what do I do now? Do I trim all the blocks and hope I get them square or fudge the sewing lines thinking nobody will notice in the long run?

Did you starch the fabric really good and are they cut on the bias? Then raise the top tension a little bit if you can and try again. I think starching and pressing may do the trick.
Old 07-23-2022, 07:37 AM

I think before I’d make any machine adjustments, I’d re-measure the red. Often it’s our fault , not the machine. If you measured correctly, and you sewed with red on bottom the feed dogs may be ‘eating’ the bottom fabric too much so if you can adjust pressure, I may start there. However, it didn’t do that when you pieced your other pieces so I’m back to thinking the red was mistakenly cut too short.
Old 07-23-2022, 08:13 AM

It is common to have the variations you are showing (at least, it is common with my sewing). They aren't a problem in themselves. The real question is, what size are your blocks supposed to be, and what size are they actually? If your blocks are slightly oversized, you can trim them, and that will get rid of the unmatched edges. If your blocks are just the right size, then the inexact joinings won't prevent you from sewing the blocks together. If your blocks are too small, you can trim them all to the size of the smallest one (this wouldn't work with all patterns, but it should work with this one).
Old 07-23-2022, 08:42 AM

Thank you everyone for your advice and comments. The problem was indeed the presser foot pressure. It’s a new machine and was set to the highest setting. I’ve reduced it to 3 and they’re coming out much better
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	AC6EAB22-400C-417D-AD5C-D489ADB8067F.jpeg
Views:	72
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	639992  
Old 07-23-2022, 09:19 AM

So….. I’ve started making a lap quilt from this pattern but as I’m a relatively new sewer the edges to the blocks aren’t straight but dip in and out where the fabrics join. I’ve realised it’s to do with fabric ‘creep’ and me letting my sewing machine do it’s own thing rather than tensioning the fabric but what do I do now? Do I trim all the blocks and hope I get them square or fudge the sewing lines thinking nobody will notice in the long run?
Are you using cotton or are you using a t-shirt type fabric??? Cotton type should not "creep" but the t-shirt fabrics will most certianly "creep" if you do not have everything proper. Most will also suggest that you sew the t-shirt fabric on a serger and not on a "normal" sewing machine due to the differance in the stretchability of the farbrics. Cotton does not normally stretch while t-shirt fabric is made to be able to stretch. If you are using cottons than most likely your machine tension is wrong and it would be to your advantage to take it to a shop and ask them to show you how to fix this problem. If it is just a tension adjustment it can be corrected most quickly by someone who knows that type of machine. Give it a try and I think you will have years of fun sewing all kinds of projects. Hope this helps in your decision on how to fix this problem.
Old 07-23-2022, 09:52 AM

Oh, Wow! I love that pattern. I have the fabric and pattern to make it. Your block looks great! My first quilt was a real mess, but the ladies at the LQS helped me and it turned out well.

bkay
Old 07-23-2022, 01:23 PM

Thank you everyone for your advice and comments. The problem was indeed the presser foot pressure. It’s a new machine and was set to the highest setting. I’ve reduced it to 3 and they’re coming out much better
Yay!!!! I'm glad you figured it out. Beautiful block, and very well made!