Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Wife Is “Cutting Up” Again.... >

My Wife Is “Cutting Up” Again....

My Wife Is “Cutting Up” Again....

Old 07-19-2014, 12:31 PM

Update: The 99 Bottles Quilt piecing is coming along nicely, just by using the “Leaders and Enders” method of sewing the pieces together. She has almost enough mini 9-patch blocks sewn together to make one large 9-patch (it takes 9 medium-sized 9-patch blocks to make a large 14” square block). She still has not ever set down to just sew the mini blocks, but has only assembled them as a leader or ender while sewing on another project. Along with the 1” square pieces, there are also 2” square pieces in the blocks, as can be seen in the photos. Note: Not all of the block pieces that have been made are shown in the photos. I only put a few out to show what the blocks look like.

I see a lot of comments about the block cutting, so I would like to point out that the tiny block cutting is not really the problem that it may seem to some. As I said in an earlier post, the solid color (off-white in this case) blocks that she needed (2,460 off-white squares - plus extras just because) were all cut in about 2 hours with a June Taylor “Shape Cut” ruler. So with all of those already cut, she is cutting the print fabric pieces from 2-inch squares as she goes (2” pieces that she’s had in her stock of pieces already cut), by simply cutting a 2-inch block into 4 pieces when she needs more 1-inch squares to use for leaders and enders. Really, it’s not a major cutting chore! When she needs more print fabric 1-inch pieces, she pauses for a moment with whatever project that she’s working on, and cuts a 2-inch piece from her stash into 4 pieces, then continues on with her other project.

Please don’t let the block-cutting keep you from trying one of these beautiful projects. Just give yourself a very generous completion date expectation, knowing that you will be making it while sewing many other great projects at the same time.

Here are photos of sewing the 99 Bottles Quilt while working on a St Patrick’s Day wall hanging/table topper. Keep in mind that she started her 99 Bottles Quilt at the end of June this year, and now at close to the end of July, she nearly has one large 14” square block done in less than a month, and that’s just by working on other projects! Her quilt needs 12 large blocks, so at her current rate, she will have all of the blocks done in a year by doing it this way. Of course, the boarders and binding will be additional, and she can always speed the production of blocks up by dedicated sewing on them alone, but to get one of these quilts made in about a year by doing other projects seems kind of cool, don’t you think?

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20140719_99_Bottles_02.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	484061   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140719_99_Bottles_03.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	222.3 KB
ID:	484062  
Old 07-21-2014, 07:21 AM

The first large block is complete! Sewing the medium-sized blocks together to form the large block was not done using the Leaders & Enders method. When enough medium blocks were completed, they were sewn together in the traditional method, so it’s the first time that any dedicated sewing was done. Also, an additional stitch was made around the outside of the large block to protect the edges while it will be in storage waiting for the other large blocks to materialize.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20140721_99_Bottles_03.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	484373  
Old 07-23-2022, 07:21 PM

Im just starting this quilt ! Your wifey's is beautiful !! I learned alot from this , thank you !!! Did it get further along ?!
Old 07-24-2022, 03:28 AM
Power Poster

There are/were people that would save every scrap of fabric - and that would be a great way to use some of those scraps.

Old 07-24-2022, 09:01 AM

Thoroughly enjoyable thread. Loved seeing and reading thoughts about the process. And comments from other quilters.

never say never. Don’t think I’d ever do this. And right now don’t have the scraps. Like a few comments, my hands are loosing dexterity and feeling. But, you never know. Smaller projects are definitely the direction of sizes I’m doing.

If the seams are pressed open, with 1” squares there’s already 2 layers of fabric. Add the back for 3, make a nice small tablecloth. And my new table needs a new tablecloth. Hmmmmmm.
Old 07-24-2022, 10:39 AM

WOW!, that is a lot of cutting, I have the Studio cutting machine, so now I don't worry about all that cutting, I love scrappy quilts, so the machine comes in handy.
Old 07-25-2022, 06:24 AM

Oh my word - you go girl. Be sure to post what you make. I throw away my really little pieces.
Old 07-25-2022, 06:41 AM

We all have our own version of therapy and while I love scrappy quilts, I try to limit them to 2 1/2" pieces as the smallest.