Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Putting a quilt block on a wood floor >

Putting a quilt block on a wood floor

Putting a quilt block on a wood floor

Old 07-25-2022, 03:11 PM

Default Putting a quilt block on a wood floor

I’m in the process of claiming half of my bedroom as a sewing room. Part of the plan involves laying plywood as the floor. It’s just too hard to use my chair with wheels on carpet. This is a budget sensitive project, so laying a plank wood floor is out of the question. So, to jazz it up a bit, I wondered if gluing fabric to the wood and then put a really tough coating would work. Has anyone tried it? I would like to glue down. Large mariners compass. Have I lost my mom or is it possible? What kind of protecting coating would be best? Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 07-25-2022, 03:21 PM

I am not an authority on flooring by any means, but I would think that rolling over the fabric, back and forth, with time would make it shift or wear?
Perhaps a more knowledgeable person will be able to advise you. Cute idea though...
Old 07-25-2022, 03:30 PM

If you decoupage or "Mod Podge" the fabric to the wood then put a couple of coats of marine varnish should hold up with the wear of the wheels. How large of a area are you planning on?
Old 07-25-2022, 03:41 PM

Have you considered using an office chair mat over the carpet? Here are a few links for different sizes, prices and types:

https://www.walmart.com/browse/home/...UGxhc3RpYwieie
https://www.staples.com/Chair-Mats/cat_CL70205
Old 07-25-2022, 04:15 PM

know budget important--and assume you've checked prices, but has lumber fallen enough that less than a decent laminate or even the snap together vinyl tiles--we put them in an entry and library and love them.
Old 07-25-2022, 05:58 PM
Power Poster

I have a large acrylic office chair mat under my chair, it works fine for me. If the carpet has to come up due to wear then I can see laying something else down. I might go with the laminate flooring boards that looks like wood. Unless you get high grade plywood you will need to do something to the surface as it will be rough.
Old 07-26-2022, 03:02 AM

In our old Victorian, my DH put down a base coat of paint and then stenciled Ohio Star blocks here and there. He then used a few coats of some sort of shiny boat varnish over top. This was in our well-traveled back hallway and it wore like iron, surviving lots of wet boots, dog claws, etc. He did the same in a round tower space - did a lovely Mariner's Compass there, but it didn't get as much traffic. If you put down plywood, you will have the seams to contend with, but you will also have the option to cover over it with tile or even wood down the road.
Old 07-26-2022, 03:37 AM

Make sure you don't have a bunch of thread stuck in your wheels. Try replacing your wheels with Roller Blade wheels, they have bearings in them. The cheap black plastic ones that come on them don't. Otherwise I would check into the vinyl flooring, so easy to take care of. Wood is very expensive and harder to take care of, plus with all the sealers and coatings the floor might be slippery. Link to wheels:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CTIG4GE...dDbGljaz10cnVl
Old 07-26-2022, 03:54 AM

rjwilder, thank you for the link because I am going to order me some.