Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New RR or BOOM >

New RR or BOOM

New RR or BOOM

Old 07-26-2022, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by aashley333 View Post
I'm wanting to make the Rose Twirls I saw recently. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va9JMQ6pjFs
I've watched the video several times, and I want to make a practice block today. When I make something from a video, I jot down notes to accompany the video. I'll post them in the Tutorials Forum if anyone is interested.
Those are cool! I spent a few hours looking in all my boxes for anything grey, black or tan to go with 1 yard of wolf print fabric. Still trying to decide what pattern to use. I should post it and see if anyone has better ideas than I'm coming up with.
Old 07-26-2022, 01:31 PM

I have a few patterns I’d like to start. One is the Tula Pink Butterfly. It’s an older pattern that’s been re-introduced. My problem is committing to the colors as I’m not crazy about the colors I see on the finished ones. Amother is the Tula Pink Nova paper pieced pattern. There’s the same color issue so it’s hard to get started. And I got an Australian designers pattern called Down the Rabbit Hole. That one has a lot of applique which I think I’m up to doing. Right now I’m participating in the Moda Blockheads 4 sew along where it’s a different block each week. It’s a bit intense as I’m doing several colorways. Then there’s the sewing room situation - fabric and things all over that need to be put away so I can think straight! But, yes, I’m ready for something new!
Old 07-27-2022, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by faykilgore View Post
Those are cool! I spent a few hours looking in all my boxes for anything grey, black or tan to go with 1 yard of wolf print fabric. Still trying to decide what pattern to use. I should post it and see if anyone has better ideas than I'm coming up with.
How about a pattern called Sidelights for your wolf yardage. We have made this using yardage in the shop where i work and it always turns out nice. While the pattern is only for a throw size, several have made it larger and adjusted the fabrics needed.
Old 07-27-2022, 05:55 AM

Those Rose Twirls sure are cute and look like lots of fun to make! I noticed there is a fair amount of fabric used to produce one 4 1/2" finished block - curious how bulky your test block feels. They sure are darling! Look forward to seeing how you come along with this one.

Old 07-27-2022, 06:52 AM

That was what I thought about the Rose Twirls too - way too much waste for me. It's like they came up with an easy way to reduce the amount of fabric cutting, but I think it could be done differently to reduce the waste. I'd also trim after every seam to reduce bulk. I have a paper peiced rose pattern that has a similar look in the end, but is not curved. I do like the curves and they are easy enough to press and sew like that.

Tula Pink's Butterfly is another pattern that is on my short list.
Old 07-28-2022, 03:08 AM

Okay I'm assuming "RR" is Round Robin?? What's "BOOM"?
Old 07-28-2022, 05:02 AM

BOOM is often short for Boomerang - where each participant sends in enough fat 8ths for each to the host, then the host sorts and sends everyone back a set of different fat 8ths, We make blocks and when complete, send them back to the host and she resorts and sends back to each participant, so in the end you get a set of blocks made using the fabric you picked. Janice McC has hosted several of them over the years.
recent BOOM thread
Old 07-28-2022, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
BOOM is often short for Boomerang - where each participant sends in enough fat 8ths for each to the host, then the host sorts and sends everyone back a set of different fat 8ths, We make blocks and when complete, send them back to the host and she resorts and sends back to each participant, so in the end you get a set of blocks made using the fabric you picked. Janice McC has hosted several of them over the years.
recent BOOM thread
Ah thank you, Macy!! I have never heard of that!