Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Inherited polyester quilt top what to do? >

Inherited polyester quilt top what to do?

Inherited polyester quilt top what to do?

Old 09-26-2016, 06:53 PM

I made a polyester knit quilt top in 1973 and embroidered the year in the corner. My Grandmother tied it for me and used a flannel sheet on the back. It's on my spare bed and guests remark about it. I was given a lot of poly scraps and I'm going to start another quilt for our RV since the quilt I have in there is skimpy.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:25 PM

As I remember the 70's and sewing, there just wasn't much fabric that didn't have polyester in it! My g-ma embroidered some lovely squares of lilacs to be used in a quilt in the early 1950's but died before she got it done. So in the 70's her sisters offered to my Mom to finish the quilt (including hand quilting). the result? I have a beautiful quilt with a woven (not knit) lavender sashed embroidery quilt--with poly bat! doesn't matter--my g-ma and great aunts made it!(and the sashings and borders will never fade!)
Old 09-26-2016, 07:29 PM

Man, this makes me think of all scraps I had left over from sewing for myself & my DD. Could just kick myself 'cause I gave them away. Would have made a warm, heavy quilt...
Old 09-26-2016, 10:42 PM

I sewed a lot in the 70s. It was hard to find anything but polyester. I remember seeking out and loving wool just to get away from polyester. but polyester was new and cheap and in style. Cotton was so old fashioned, it reminded everyone of shirt-waist dresses, and nobody was going to be caught dead in that. Obviously, I am not talking about quilting, just dress making.
Old 09-27-2016, 03:20 PM

A double knit quilt top is not as bad as you might think. I am part of The Pleasant Quilters & today we were hand quilting a double knit top with cotton backing. It is the Lone Star pattern. We had been dreading this quilt but we were all surprised how easy it quilted. People bring us the pieced top & we finish for them.
Old 07-31-2022, 11:33 AM

I have a similar situation. My mother made a simple polyester quilt top of 8 x 8 squares and I am looking at ways to finish the quilt. I like the suggestion regarding no-pil fleece or flannel with no batting. But knowing it is just the quilt top how would you finish it? Binding? A polyester border? And I am in the air on whether to quilt it or tie it.
Old 07-31-2022, 11:44 AM

I sewed a top in 1973 and my Grandma tied it. We used a flannel sheet for a back and turned the edges in. I think it’s called a “knife edge”. I embroidered the year in the corner and it’s on the spare bed in the basement.

When I joined our church quilt group, I noticed a lot of polyester knit squares cut in 6”. Everyone avoided them like the plague so I took them home and made 2 king size tops. I guess they tied them when I was away for the winter & I bet I got called names but they’ll keep someone warm and thats the name of the game, right ?
Old 07-31-2022, 02:06 PM

I thought ours was the only family that received those from our grandmother. Double knit was “the fabric “ of the 70’s. I don’t think they will ever wear out! Ours are backed and bound in pdk. Don’t know about the batting. Hand quilted. Yikes!
Old 08-01-2022, 02:18 AM

My first quilt, started in 1973, was made of a cotton-poly blend with poly batting. I hand quilted it, which was difficult, but it is still intact and the colors look good, too. That was almost all that was available back then. I haven't used much poly since, but I think I'd just use a cotton batt with flannel for a backing.
Old 08-01-2022, 03:16 AM

I remember polyester quilts from way back when I was learning to sew. Nowadays none of the charities will take them because they melt if there is a fire. That's why baby clothing is also only made of cotton.