Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual quilting weekend 8/5-8/7/22 >

Virtual quilting weekend 8/5-8/7/22

Virtual quilting weekend 8/5-8/7/22

Old 08-06-2022, 07:17 AM

Hi everyone! I just was successful in restoring cable service to the TV in my sewing room, it's been a week! It took 2 trips to the Xfinity store to get working equipment. Sorry to hear you are sick Heather, a friend here was sick last week with covid symptoms but never tested positive. Feel better soon!
I have 40 Christmas stocking backs to cut today, then I will work on some blocks for my Dear Jane.
Old 08-06-2022, 08:12 AM

Sadly, I'm not going to be able to sew today, or maybe even throughout the weekend. This sciatica issue has turned into a monster and I just don't think I have it fully in me to try and sew. I can barely roll my chair under my desk before I'm getting deep pain and my hip seizes up on me. I know I'm looking at surgery at some point and was hoping to avoid it.

I will, however, be cross-stitching on a new piece I got from Amazon and will take pictures of it later when I have to get into the kitchen, it's a rather big piece and it's stamped. As much as I love counted cross-stitch, I needed something that was almost mind numbing, if that makes sense. It's the biggest one I've ever done and will take some time to complete it. But, I love long haul projects. I may also pull out my GFG later and I know I need to update my bullet journal, so I still be in and out, I just won't be working at my sewing machine.

Everyone's projects look terrific, I love seeing so much progress being made on our weekends like this, lots and lots of motivation!

Last edited by Railroadersbrat; 08-06-2022 at 08:14 AM. Reason: I really do know how to spell, my fingers got away from me for a second.
Old 08-06-2022, 10:05 AM

Heather, sorry you are under the weather, I'm doing good but just not in the sewing mood today. DH had me doing a little computer backup work for him. He wanted to make sure we had backups of some music we ripped. I know I can re-rip the CD's but it's just easier to copy and paste the files to the back up drive. This morning it seemed like we won the weather lottery, it rained for over an hour. almost an inch of desperately needed water. I have squared up some of the units from yesterday and will get them together. But I think I am more in the mood to do some more of the cutting then hand work. My sewing room is a little too dreary to sew. So after cutting I think it's on to the GFG.

Stacy, Just do what you can comfortably, a project is a project.

Happy sewing everyone.
Old 08-06-2022, 12:09 PM

Housework this morning but finally able to spend time in the sewing room. This one just needed the last border so yippee! it's finally ready to sandwich and quilt.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6172.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	791.4 KB
ID:	640130  
Old 08-06-2022, 01:17 PM

Hope you're both feeling better soon Heather and Stacey!

We had bad storms all afternoon and evening yesterday, so didn't get much done as we lost power twice. First time for 3 hours and the 2nd time for 2 hours. Did manage to get the binding cut out and sewed together. This morning I did some tidying tasks in the studio and then got the binding stitched to the front of the quilt. This afternoon I started hand stitching it down on the back, but decided I needed a break about halfway through. Might work on it a little more before dinner, or maybe not LOL. Tomorrow morning my sister and her dog are coming over for a visit- fingers crossed that I can foist some more art supplies off on her as she's a steam teacher . Afternoon- I'm thinking I'll get that binding finished and then maybe do a little work on the new painted quilt.

Rob
Old 08-06-2022, 02:25 PM

Heather, I hope you feel better soon as well as Stacey and Railroaders Brat. I managed to get all the HST squared up and half of a panel done today. Note to self, think twice before making another queen size quilt that is all 3.5 in HST and squares, what was I thinking, it sure could drive one to drinking! I have a massage first thing in the morning, so I will probably just be able to finish the other half of my panel when I get back.
Old 08-06-2022, 02:53 PM
Power Poster

Just finished quilting, trimming, and machine sewing binding to a quilt. Will post picture after the handwork on the binding is done. I have another quilt top ready to go on the longarm, but first I need to select a wide back (or make one) and prepare the batting. Those tasks always take longer than expected. I'm trying to use up some rolls of 45" wide W&W, so I'll have to piece the batting lengthwise and then add another 8" of width. (The quilt top is 90" square.) I think I deserve some ice cream first.

Hope everyone who is ailing feels better soon. And you all deserve some ice cream. It's hot outside.
Old 08-06-2022, 03:34 PM

Faykilgore, a beautiful quilt. Lovely to see scripture beautifully presented. What are your plans for quilting?

I have finished the binding on Quilt #1 and and about to start hand sewing the back of binding for Quilt #2. Photos tomorrow when both are finished. Sew on every one and get well Raggiemom.

Last edited by WMUTeach; 08-06-2022 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-06-2022, 07:16 PM

[QUOTE=WMUTeach;8562312]Faykilgore, a beautiful quilt. Lovely to see scripture beautifully presented. What are your plans for quilting?

Maybe a cross grid on the blocks that will look like basket weave a little. Not sure how to work around the letters unless I hand quilt it, which I don't want to do. I was just going to SID along all the sashings. I thought a leafy vine would be cool along the outer border.
Old 08-06-2022, 07:57 PM

We had Covid in July, my fiance was down hard with it but I ended up being asymptomatic and to be honest, all it felt like was a moderate summer cold. It was the absolute weirdest sickness I have ever gone through and I'm super glad we are completely over it with no long term symptoms. July was just a really bad month for us all around, I lost my uncle and couldn't go to the funeral because of Covid, my laptop threw me the white screen of death and I lost dozens of sewing patterns from SewCanShe and MSQC, like I said, really bad month, lol.

My TENS unit is helping me be more mobile without all the deep pain, though I still get a deep hitch when I'm not careful. I need to move the pads a little bit, but I'm getting there, ladies! I miss being able to sew with everyone and yes, I know a project is a project and I'm still involved, but I was really excited about getting the bowl cozies going. I have some dishes that I have to do in a little while, fiance is due home from the village tomorrow, if I can keep the momentum going, I think I'm going to try and get some 5" squares sewn up, I have some deep fall colors and I think they would make some really pretty bowl cozies.

My sister's quilt is calling to me, so I will be, at least, laying out the blocks and snapping pictures. I don't think I have enough to call it completed so I can sew the blocks together, I need a few more flowers, I think to call it done but it's close enough for placement and see where I'm at. She knows nothing about the fact she's getting a quilt, I kept her in the dark on purpose so I can surprise her with it.