Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Misty Pines or Winter Solstice quilt >

Misty Pines or Winter Solstice quilt

Misty Pines or Winter Solstice quilt

Old 08-09-2022, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by peglh View Post
This is just beautiful - I love the colors that you chose! I am just now cutting my fabric - following the same idea as you are. Keeping the size of the blocks the same as the throw, and adding more columns and rows as you suggested. Ideally I would have it be about 90" long, but we will see how it goes here. I don't think I will attempt the appliqué though - a little out of my reach.
Thank you for posting pictures - I'd love to see your finished quilt!
Glad to see you are still proceeding with your quilt. I found the piecing to be pretty easy. What was difficult was keeping track of the fabrics. I know I had at least one combination that was totally unplanned, but looked okay, so I kept it. I used a million post-notes and even an excel spreadsheet.
Old 08-12-2022, 05:11 AM

One tip for the “tree” portion of the quilt. Although the pattern says to press the units to the top when combining to make each “tree”, I wish I had pressed them open. There is a lot of bulk at the edges of the flying geese and when the columns are sewn together, that bulk was very evident and will make quilting a challenge.
Old 08-12-2022, 02:45 PM

I also remember seeing this stunning example of use of very subtle changes in color and texture. Love it, but will always be an admirer but not a maker. Like many others, I have so many on my to do list that there is little room left.
Old 08-14-2022, 09:23 AM
Power Poster

SuzSLO,
Do you happen to know what McCall's issue the original pattern was from?
Old 08-14-2022, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 View Post
SuzSLO,
Do you happen to know what McCall's issue the original pattern was from?
The original Misty Pines pattern, designed by Patti Carey, was first published in the January/February 2013 issue of McCall’s Quilting. Another version was later published by Patti Carey called “Misted Pines.”
Old 11-17-2022, 01:44 PM

My Misted Pines variation is now a flimsy! The hand appliqué took a fair amount of time, but it is something I enjoy. It ended up looking very much like the design I drew on a photo of the pieced top. Still need to find backing and batting. I am stumped on the quilting design.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0500.jpeg
Views:	94
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	641390  
Old 11-19-2022, 09:44 AM

Oh my - this is absolutely beautiful! And the appliqué is amazing - love your choice of fabrics and colors of appliqué. I got started sewing the trees together - they go together very nicely - but then got sidetracked by the news of 2 new little granddaughters on their way! So switched gears to baby quilts. I am looking forward to getting back to this one soon though.
Yes, I was wondering about the quilting as well. I noticed the instruction sheet with the pattern has a suggestion, so I might try that. I am a ways away from that though!
Thanks for sharing this!
Old 11-19-2022, 05:06 PM

Well, of course, the granddaughters must come first.