Fabric Moratorium 2022

Old 08-12-2022, 05:47 AM

I just found this thread today, -- thanks, joe'smom!

I keep telling myself that I'm not going to 'buy'. But, here it is August and I must say that my acquisition hasn't been just for fabric. I've been adding to my 'collection' of patterns, machine quilting rulers, yardage, and something that I recently discovered is liking to use pre-cuts, jelly rolls, charm packs, layer cakes, and fat quarters with matching yardage. And, when I buy, I buy for the entire 'planned' quilt.

Standing up to say, I need to set the brakes! I'm going to do it. So, I am starting a fresh. I finally got my dream, dedicated quilting room set up and my shelves are full.

So, count me in.
I am here.
Old 08-12-2022, 09:24 AM

quiltsfor, I'm glad you found your way over here!

The support really does help. It took a while for me, but being part of this group definitely has changed my mindset regarding buying. And it's so vicariously satisfying to hear how other people are reducing their stashes!
Old 08-12-2022, 10:40 AM
Power Poster

#263 reported as spam
Old 08-12-2022, 12:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
#263 reported as spam
That was quick. I reported #263 as spam, it was removed, and now I am #263. Didn't know that would happen!
Old 08-12-2022, 08:53 PM

Was someone trying to sell your pattern on Ebay? I know I got mine from you way back when. Loved it as soon as I saw it.
Old 08-13-2022, 09:46 AM

Unfortunately, I don't have a huge thread stash and needed to buy some and while I was on the site, I added a few different yardages of fabric to my cart..... But, fortunately, before I pushed the checkout button, this forum thread came to mind and I deleted everything but the thread that I needed (my spool was running out). A few days ago, I wouldn't have deleted the extra stuff. Thanks to everyone! This is helping more than I hoped!
Old 08-14-2022, 03:38 AM

Three cheers for you Quiltsfor.!!! You are on it. It does get easier. I used to fall victium to MSQ's Daily Deals, but then I looked at the cupbord where I put my pre-cuts and found it was nearly full and unused. I limit my fabric web browsing unless I need something specific and I don't buy extra. Helps to keep the stash under control.
Old 08-14-2022, 06:21 AM

Well I went off the wagon. Keepsake quilting sent me a text telling me they found a piece of 4 yards in the fabric I had wanted. Yea. Bad for buying, but great for my backing fabric.

I also want to buy end of bolt fabrics. It will go in my stash for background fabric and a few other projects, I won’t use the fabric right away, but I will over the next year. I’m still on the fence with this purchase.
Old 08-14-2022, 09:32 AM

Welcome, Quiltsfor! So glad you've found us and that our little support group of cheerleaders have been helpful already!

WMU - I think you've hit on something really important. We have access to so much great content online but I've also found I need to avoid just looking at fabric because it's just too tempting. I'm fine as long as I stick with patterns and tutorials because I can always picture my own stash fabric in the project.

I had a little fall off the wagon (more like a toe dipped in) when I was at the thrift store the other day, but they had a great Hoffman Woodcut and it was enough yardage for a backing for one of my smaller quilts (my stash is mostly half-yards and smaller) so I thought it wouldn't be too bad. I also took some time last week to sort out some of the mess I'd made recently and was pleasantly surprised to find that all of my fabric actually does fit into the boxes I have dedicated to it, and there's room for this new piece, too.

I also found a bunch of blocks that I'd tucked away and so now they are on my sewing table and will hopefully be moving into the "finished quilt tops" box soon. :-) This one is also using 20+ year old fabric. Nice to know I was choosing fabrics with lasting appeal (for me, anyway) back then, because I still really like it. :-)
Old 08-14-2022, 12:40 PM

Thanks, all! I also find that the emails catch me and pull me to the fabric sites with 'sales'. I unsubscribed to all but a couple of sites. And, have decided not to go onto those actual sites to just do looky loos. Makes me feel good!