Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
need advice on hard boiled eggs >

need advice on hard boiled eggs

need advice on hard boiled eggs

Old 08-21-2022, 01:07 AM

I have an instant pot and fresh eggs from my backyard chickens. My method is a basket in instant pot, fill with eggs (I can get 24 in my basket depending on size of egg), add one cup water, set IP for 5 min. Then let it go 5 more minutes after the cook cycle is done, release the pressure and immediately move the eggs to a bowl of ice water with the ice in the water. Let sit for at least 5 minutes, then remove to a towel to finish cooling. I have peeled them at this stage while they are warm and they peel perfectly. If I am making deviled eggs, I let them cool unpeeled on a plate and then make the deviled eggs. Be sure to crack the rounded end where the air pocket is first and go from there. I keep boiled eggs in my fridge pretty much all the time and using this method they still peel perfectly even after several days in the fridge. Oh and my eggs are brown, blue, creamy color.....no white though. So the ones from your friend should work just fine.
Old 08-21-2022, 03:46 AM
Power Poster

My instant pot always gives perfect easy to peel hard boiled eggs regardless of age. Color doesn’t matter. Google instant pot hard boiled eggs and try one of the methods. You can fill the pot with as many as fit
Old 08-21-2022, 05:10 AM

My method for hard boiled eggs is a tad different. I get water to a roiling boil then add eggs. Cook for 20 min. As soon as they are done, I drain and add cold water. Might do a couple of 'cold baths' and then I place some ice cubes in the water and let sit until very cool.

I lay out paper towels, crack and roll eggs on paper towel and begin to peel. If I have a stubborn spot I will continue peeling under cool running water. Once all eggs are peeled it's pretty easy clean up just wrapping egg shells in paper towel and tossing. And rarely do I have an ugly egg!
Old 08-21-2022, 11:18 AM

Murphy224, I have found the information on a blog by Amy and Jacky on how they do them in the IP and the 5-5-5 method. I am getting a silicone basket tomorrow for me to use. Have been reading reviews on the blog and on Amazon on how many eggs others do at one time and also how long they cooked each big batch.
I have made plenty of notes and will be testing a dozen pullet eggs tomorrow so I can pickle them.

Again, a big thank you for your methods and I will be back later tomorrow to let you know how it all goes in the IP.
Old 08-22-2022, 04:13 PM

I got my fresh eggs today, in the IP I did the 12 small eggs so I can pickle them. I used the 5-5-5 method for them and when finished I did the ice batch for the final 5 minutes.
I then used a method to peel them using what they showed on Americas Test Kitchen. That method is putting the eggs in a container half full of water and put eggs in and SHAKE them for 40 second to fully crack the shells. My 12 eggs fit in an empty pickled bologna jar, it sealed well so I could do the shaking. That worked great and now they are in the fridge in their pickling brine.
Finally, I have 12 perfect eggs and will be doing this way from now on to end up with perfect eggs.
Old 08-23-2022, 12:10 AM

Amy and Jacky is where I learned the 5 5 5 method. So glad it worked for you......now if you ever want to make egg salad you can break your eggs into a lightly greased bowl or pan that will fit in your Instant Pot, and cook as a loaf of hard boiled eggs. Then just chop up and add your favorite ingredients. Saves all that work of peeling! here is a link to the method and timing. I have used this method and it does work.
can't emphasize lightly greasing that bowl or pan enough.....it is really hard getting that egg outta there if you don't! lol

https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/...pot-egg-salad/
Old 08-23-2022, 03:14 AM

Having hard boiled eggs that I can easily peel might be what makes me finally buy an insta-pot, lol. I've tried every method out there, but unless eggs are older, getting them to peel and look nice is nearly impossible.
Old 08-23-2022, 04:07 AM

Murphy224, thank you for the link and that is a great idea to avoid the shelling part.
peaceandjoy, I am falling more in love with the IP. Like you I have tried every method know to those I have asked BUT always ended up with ugly eggs. It is great to have found a method that actually works.

The Board is great to find answers that are not quilting, thank you all.
Old 08-23-2022, 06:11 AM

Ha! You all may finally give me the push I need to USE my IP which I have had for almost a year and not used. I think my age is showing, I don't like learning how to use new stuff!
Old 08-23-2022, 06:35 AM

I always do mine this way and rarely have a egg that is hard to peel. I put the eggs in a pan, cover with cold water, bring to a boil and boil for 10 minutes. Immediately, drain the boiling water, and run ice cold water over the eggs, dump pan when full and do it again 2 or 3 more times, making sure the flow of water hit ever single egg separately. Then leaving the last of the water in the pan, crack each egg against counter around all sides, and then start peeling. Usually the shell comes off in a few long attached pieces. Then I drop the peeled egg back into the water and do the same with the next.

I think the trick is to take extremely hot eggs and drench them in icy cold water to get the inner skin to stick to the shell instead of the egg. Peel while the shell is still wet too, because I have found that if you try to peel a dry egg, it is going to be hard to get the shell of in a few pieces without the egg sticking to the shell.