Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Type of Foot Do You Use On Your Sewing? Machine?? >

What Type of Foot Do You Use On Your Sewing? Machine??

What Type of Foot Do You Use On Your Sewing? Machine??

Old 07-28-2022, 08:58 AM

"For Bernina 770 with 9mm, the quarter inch foot is difficult for me to be accurate. I use the clear foot and move the needle right 2-3 clicks. This gives the fabric plenty of feed dog coverage for better fabric movement.[/QUOTE]"

I had problems using the quarter inch 97D foot, so I on a whim, bought a plain 97 foot which does not have a cut out in the back for the dual feed drop down foot. I think I get a better quarter inch seam with the plain foot as the back of the foot is solid. I think maybe the dual feed foot actually interfered a bit when doing piecing and putting a new piece of patchwork in. It worked fine though on longer 1/4-inch seams. So, now I have at least 5 different ways using different feet to stitch a 1/4 inch seam on my Bernina 590
Old 07-29-2022, 08:33 PM

The 1/4" foot with sewing guide (flange) is my favorite. and truly accurate on my Bernina. For scrap piecing, my basic foot works okay, and I use the zipper foot when I need a narrow foot.
Old 08-27-2022, 06:19 PM

I use an open toe foot as I have had the same problem as Lady Diana with 1/4" foot with the flange. I move the needle to the right and use the lines on a note card to make sure I am getting a scane 1/4" (the lines on the note card are 1/4" apart so I can get a more consistent 1/4" seam).
Old 08-28-2022, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by abc123xyz View Post
I am thinking about ordering extra feet for my sewing machine. I received several new feet with the purchase of my machine but have since purchased a quarter inch foot with the attached sewing guide. I am thinking about ordering one without the guide and possibly another more narrow foot that I would use only when the needle is set in the center position. I notice that there are now clear see-through feet available as well. Does anyone own one of these and do you like it better than the regular all metal foot? All of the feet I received with the purchase seem so wide and I think a more narrow foot would work better for me. Just wondering what others use.
I have several plastic ones and NO I do not like them. 2 have chipped and therefore they are no longer in the sewing box. I had at the time a Brother but it was used and so when we received the stimulus payments I bought a Singer 4423 Heavy duty. I love the machine and all the feet I bought for my brother also fit my 4423. I bought all the feet from brother and they came in a box with the name/size of each foot on the box but the names were on the wrong side of the feet.
However so far with my singer I have used the attached foot. I have not changed any of the stitch setting either. I like the tiny stitches for my doll clothes as well as the clothes for babies.

Old 08-29-2022, 11:57 AM

I have stopped using my quarter inch foot. It was hard to keep it on a 1/4" because of the shape of the foot as it wanted to constantly pull the fabric to the right (foot is wider beyond the 1/4 width of the 'fork' in the front on the right side - bigger in the back than in the front). Also, my 1/4" foot is 1/4" on one side and 1/8" on the other side of the 'fork' foot, so it was a pain to have to always have the fabric a certain way when it would have been less bulk to sew along the straight on the left.

I started using my general purpose foot, when I realized that it also sews a 1/4" and 'fork' is the same on both sides. It is a little harder to see exactly where the needle falls when I need to put the needle back on the sewn thread line (after changing bobbin, etc) to start again, but with some good light, I'm getting it in the right spot.