Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
need advice on hard boiled eggs >

need advice on hard boiled eggs

need advice on hard boiled eggs

Old 08-23-2022, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
First off tell the eggs you are going to eat all the deviled eggs yourself - they are not going to be served to anyone else. They will then peel without issue. The minute they know you want them to look pretty they hang tight to the shell. Whenever I am making them for just us they are easy, the shells all but fall off. But if I am serving them to friends and family, it's a battle.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 *wipes snorted coffee off the computer screen*

I do mine in the instant pot. I put a veggie basket in the bottom, add an inch or so of water to the pot, put my eggs in. I think the most I've done is 14 eggs, although I could definitely fit more in. Lid on, set pressure to low, set timer to 7 minutes, walk away. When the timer goes off, I do a quick release. While the steam is escaping, I fill a bowl with ice and water. Transfer the eggs to the ice water bath, let them sit for 10 minutes or so. Then refrigerate. They always peel easy and never have a green ring.

ETA: I store them in the fridge with their shells on until I'm ready to use them.
Old 08-30-2022, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by farmquilter View Post
I have just been put on the list for funeral meals at my church. I would be taking deviled eggs, but I seem to be having issues with peeling them to look decent to serve.
Please offer your detailed method of cooking them to peel well. I would need to do 2 dozen eggs for each funeral meal.
My eggs would be brown and some green eggs from a friend's backyard hens. I have an IP pressure cooker but want the 2-dozen cooked all at once.

My current method: a 2-day process, boil in softened water with 1 T vinegar, to a rolling boil for 3-4 minutes, off heat and cover for 1/2 an hour or so, drain. Then in fridge overnight to peel and make them deviled the morning of the meal. This method was given to me but was told NEVER use brown eggs only white.
Was given a suggestion to gently roll the egg on the counter to crack all over--still ended up with 4 ugly eggs out of 12.
I would "cheat" Walmart is now selling Hard boiled eggs by the 6-pack. These are mostly pealrd proper. In all the packs I've bought I have had only 1 with a dessed up peal off. The company that cooks them do a great job. I use them as my only source of Hard boikrd eggs since I found them about a year ago. Have a good date as well.
Old 08-30-2022, 07:36 AM

I love my fresh eggs from a friend. But I have found that they don't make the best deviled eggs. The yolks are too big. Whenever I take deviled eggs to a group, I purchase them from the grocery. The "whites" are bigger and work better.
Old 08-30-2022, 09:27 AM

I recommend using your instant pot. I have a foodi (similar, different brand) and no longer hard boil eggs any other way.

Put eggs on a rack with a cup or so of water under them. I cook up to a dozen, but more can fit.
Set to pressure cook on high for 4 minutes.
Allow pressure to reduce naturally for 4 minutes.
Vent, remove eggs to cold water bath.
Shells will fall off easily.
Old 08-31-2022, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by MaryKa View Post
I would "cheat" Walmart is now selling Hard boiled eggs by the 6-pack. These are mostly pealrd proper. In all the packs I've bought I have had only 1 with a dessed up peal off. The company that cooks them do a great job. I use them as my only source of Hard boikrd eggs since I found them about a year ago. Have a good date as well.
I have seen these both at WM and the regular grocery, sold by Best Eggs. I've hesitated getting them as they are more expensive, and also wondered if they would be harder and rubbery? Or odd shaped as they are all atop one another in a bag.

All of the recommendations for Insta Pot really have me leaning that way. The problem is that we have not enough cupboard space; I'd have to think about where I could easily store one that it would be handy - because if it isn't handy, I know I won't use it.

I've always done the cold water, bring to a boil, move to ice water method, but if those eggs are new, the shells are awful to get off. I will say that for soft boiled, I now use a method DD sent to me, putting them in boiling water and starting timing then. Perfect every time - but I'm just removing the top for those, so no need to pry shells off

Last edited by peaceandjoy; 08-31-2022 at 03:32 AM.
Old 08-31-2022, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
All of the recommendations for Insta Pot really have me leaning that way. The problem is that we have not enough cupboard space; I'd have to think about where I could easily store one that it would be handy.
Keep in mind there are several different sizes available.
I keep mine in a closet close to my kitchen. I store it with the lid off, because the shelves in this closet are short.
The IP is also great for making perfect rice.

Here's a size and info chart for all IPs. https://www.instantpot.com/wp-conten...Comparison.pdf
Old 08-31-2022, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
I have seen these both at WM and the regular grocery, sold by Best Eggs. I've hesitated getting them as they are more expensive, and also wondered if they would be harder and rubbery? Or odd shaped as they are all atop one another in a bag.

All of the recommendations for Insta Pot really have me leaning that way. The problem is that we have not enough cupboard space; I'd have to think about where I could easily store one that it would be handy - because if it isn't handy, I know I won't use it.

I've always done the cold water, bring to a boil, move to ice water method, but if those eggs are new, the shells are awful to get off. I will say that for soft boiled, I now use a method DD sent to me, putting them in boiling water and starting timing then. Perfect every time - but I'm just removing the top for those, so no need to pry shells off
I have only had 1 egg that was partly missing the white. As long as you use them within the date (plus 1 week) they are fine. Since I sit in the power chair I don't cook much any more and since I am alone cooking on the stove makes very little sense in my opinion. Also I do not have nor want an instapot.

The eggs are more expensive but that is because the need to pay for their electric and employees that do the work. Both of which I have no problem with for myself. I understand if someone does not like the extra expense but I use a lot of boiled eggs as I need to eat a something with meds. The eggs are perfect as I have many diet restriction due to renal problems. I used to eat a handful of mixed nuts with my last meds--can't ever eat nuts again. The boiled eggs fill the problem of no nuts, No beef. No pork. No to many veggies. No to things that I was told all my life these are the "healthy" foods and then I find they are not healthy like we were told.

I have never had one of the eggs that did not taste right. Non have ever been rubbery, tuff, or tasting "funny". Again just be certain to check the date. The dates are always within one month on walmart shelves. It's the only store I shop for food--still the best price in this area.

I use Great Day. I have seen the Best Egg and have not bought them due to sitting ontop of each other. That bothered me as well because I could not see them properly. The great Day are 6 eggs to a package and I've only found them at my 1 Neighborhood Walmart. We have 3 here in this city 2 Neighborhood and 1 Super. Maybe it's just me but I refuse to shop at either of the other two.

When Momma passed, several people from my store came to her funeral--including the manager. When I get to the store, several walk with me to help get things off the upper shelves--even the manager. All of them stop to visit. Several have "discussed" which one was going to win the coin toss as to who delivers my packages. They are a great group of people and I love all of them. Would not shop anywhere else.

Last edited by MaryKa; 08-31-2022 at 06:01 PM.
Old 10-09-2022, 03:04 AM

Yes I always use IP. High pressure 5 min. Natural release for 4 min. Tape w/ wooden spoon. Immediately place in bowl with ice cubes and water. Let cool.
Old 10-09-2022, 10:16 AM

WELL, I went back to the stove top to boil some large and small eggs but only used enough to cover the bottom. Used cold water but added some baking soda AND vinegar, I wanted to make sure the shells would come off. Boiled for 5 minutes, off burner, covered for 15 minutes. Drained, shook pan with lid on, covered with cold water. Rolled gently on the counter to fracture shell all over and then they peeled very well with only 1 having a small flaw.

I will test with the IP again, but I have been done in by so many tests using everyone's timing. I had made a list of all the different times used and comments on results. I even looked at electric cookers to do 2 dozen eggs--I was getting desperate to have perfect eggs for the church funeral meals.
Old 10-09-2022, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by farmquilter View Post
Used cold water but added some baking soda AND vinegar, I wanted to make sure the shells would come off.
Why would you use both?? The reason why you'd use either is to change the ph, which makes the eggs easier to peel. Vinegar makes it more acidic, baking soda makes it less acidic, so you're basically not changing the ph at all by using both.