Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Zucchini, Onion, Egg Fry >

Zucchini, Onion, Egg Fry

Zucchini, Onion, Egg Fry

Old 09-02-2022, 08:01 PM

Thumbs up Zucchini, Onion, Egg Fry

Our garden has produced very nice Zucchini squash and onions. One of our favorite breakfasts (sometimes supper) is to cook the Zucchini with onions and eggs in a type of Spanish tortilla, which is just an omlette.

To make: Cube 1 cup's worth of Zucchini, chop 1/2 to 3/4 cup of onion, and fry, covered, in a pan with about 1 tablespoon olive oil on medium heat. Cook until the squash and onions begin to soften and begin to barely turn translucent. I like to sprinkle Sweet Mesquite Seasoning or other meat flavoring over it while its cooking. Salt lightly if desired. Black pepper works, too.

Beat 2 to 3 eggs in a bowl (oh why does that always sound so violent to me?), scoop the hot Zucchini & onions into the eggs and stir. Pour mixture back into pan and cook on medium heat, covered. Periodically stir the runnier areas to let eggs sink down against the hot pan. Cook until the whole assembly forms a patty that stays intact and slides around when the pan is shaken. The eggs should no longer be runny.

Ease the patty onto a clean plate, cooked side down. Sprinkle some more olive oil onto the "raw" top side of the patty. Invert the frying pan over the plate, centering the patty, and in one combined motion, flip the pan and plate over together so the patty falls squarely into the pan with the raw side down. Cover and cook for a few minutes. I turn off the heat and let it finish cooking as it also begins to cool. Slide the patty onto a plate. Serve with olive oil sprinkled on top (VERY Spanish!), or with salsa (for a Mexican spin), or with ketchup (very American). Cut the patty into wedges like pizza slices.

Its easy to adjust the serving size upwards or downwards by increasing or decreasing the amount of ingredients.

This dish may be refrigerated and served cold - great on hot summer days.
Old 09-03-2022, 04:41 AM

sounds good
Old 09-04-2022, 07:19 AM

Great idea. Reminds me of the time on vacation that we cut up leftover pizza slice into eggs and scrambled. It was great!
Old 09-04-2022, 09:05 AM

We used to make (bell) pepper and egg sandwiches for traveling.