Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Soap/calcium build up in shower >

Soap/calcium build up in shower

Soap/calcium build up in shower

Old 09-01-2022, 10:55 AM
Power Poster

A rubber window squiggy with a plastic handle works well in between cleaning.
Old 09-02-2022, 12:53 AM

Have used about 3/4 cup dawn & about 1-1/4 vinegar for years. It really cleaned a gosh awful shower in our previous house. Well- we sold that house last year & I'm proud to say that the acrylic tub, while nearly 12 yrs. old, looked brand new. Couldn't believe what my usual cleaning mix was able to do for that tub!!! We too use a squeegee to 'wipe down' the shower after each use. No water spots!
sewverybusy1
Old 09-02-2022, 04:13 AM

If you have serious buildup to deal with, you'll probably need something like CLR to get it off. Once you've done that, I highly recommend the vinegar/Dawn mixture to keep it sparkling clean. I also accidentally found out that a purifying shampoo (cheap, like Suave works perfectly) removes soap scum. Again, it's got to be done regularly to make it easy. We have clear glass shower doors that the sun shines on, so anything on them looks awful. Although they get dried after every use, it's pretty gross how much soap and hard water buildup shows up.
Old 09-02-2022, 09:42 AM

TYSM to everyone! DH went to walmart and got the stuff, mixed it up, sprayd it on and it started working after a couple minutes. Best chemical reaction I've seen that is legal...lol will prob have to get more stuff but who cares as long as it works.
Old 09-02-2022, 01:36 PM

Which one did you use? Dawn and vinegar or CLR?
Old 09-02-2022, 01:43 PM

Dawn and vinegar.
Old 09-03-2022, 02:31 PM

Thank you!
Old 09-04-2022, 07:04 PM

This thread has been very helpful for me. I have tried getting some very old soap scum off of a cast iron tub for years. I have used just about every cleaner out there, but the Dawn & Vinegar is slowly, but surely working. This is the first time I saw any progress. I spray, let it sit for at least 30 minutes, then scrub off with an extra toilet brush and rinse. I am beginning to see the real color of the tub again. Still a work in progress, but so much better. Thanks for all the info.
Old 09-05-2022, 06:22 AM

OnebyGone, there's a copycat recipe in making your own Dawn Power Spray. I love the stuff too and my sister found the recipe online and I just found it yesterday so I wrote it down. I'll go get 2 more bottles of the stuff so I have the spray bottle, one for each floor though. It's water, alcohol and Dawn mixed together. If you want the recipe, contact me privately and I'll send it to you. For anyone else too.

If that's okay with the website here.
Old 09-05-2022, 07:41 AM

https://myheavenlyrecipes.com/dawn-p...opycat-recipe/
Still working on that old soap scum. There will be joy in my house when I get her done and gone.