Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Frame for domestic machine >

Frame for domestic machine

Frame for domestic machine

Old 09-13-2022, 03:24 PM

Default Frame for domestic machine

My least favorite part of the quilting process is basting, so I am considering a frame that will accommodate my Baby Lock Quilters Choice Pro. I would likely do mostly straight line quilting and feel like I could use my Janome M7 to go back and add any FMQ stitching I want. I have the space just not the $$$$ for a longarm (see above reference to the M7) and was wondering what brands people have had good (or bad) experiences with and just generally if this is a bad idea. Standing is not a problem. I am really hoping for some good advice here. If it matters, I am in Dallas so access to service/repairs should not be an issue. Thanks!
Old 09-13-2022, 03:31 PM

I started out with my Brother PQ 1500 on a New Joy gold frame. The machine was a little heavy for the frame and if I wasn't careful, it could tip the whole setup over. I very quickly got frustrated with the space limitations and tired of the measly amount of quilting I could do. Hubby bought me a 26" Innova + frame for Christmas. Yes he is the best hubby ever and no you can't have him. 🤣🥰
Old 09-13-2022, 06:16 PM
mkc

The big thing with using a domestic on a frame is the limited throat space. You won't be able to quilt an entire block, in most cases, since you'll be limited to throat depth less about 4" for rolled quilt/bars. That generally translates to 5" of quilting band you can do.
Old 09-14-2022, 03:36 AM

I bought the Grace SRll quilt frame a few years ago for something like $350 ( I think), however it's no longer being sold. It's held up well using my Janome 1600P on it. But like mkc explained, with an 11" throat space you can only quilt about 5" at a time after you get rolling because of the take up bar. At this point in my age (70) I can't decide if I want to purchase a machine with a larger throat such as a 17" or just give up quilting because of the cost of everything.
Old 09-14-2022, 06:13 AM

I started out with Viking's MegaQuilter 9". You could order with their metal frame but I chose to go with a wooden one by Grace. It was their Grace Pro frame and I loved it. I added a simple robotic system to it when I found out 9" doesn't give you much and then moved up to a stretched Juki 98Q 18" and it worked great. The only problem I had were the poles which I switched out for conduit poles, just slid them over the original poles due to the connections on the ends. Also the piece the carriage rolls on I replaced with a metal type. This system lasted me for over 10 years and one move.
Old 09-14-2022, 06:32 AM

couple of fairly cost-effective options would be to have a long arm quilter just do the basting for you or if you have a quilt shop in your area that rents longarm machines, they usually require you to take a class and then rent by the hour. Doesn't cost as much or take up as much space as having your own frame and longarm.
Old 09-14-2022, 09:50 AM
Power Poster

I baste with Elmer's washable school glue. I use my dining room table but any table will do. It goes fast and I've never had a wrinkle. It doesn't gum up a needle if dry. There are many discussions on here. I FMQ with my Brother PQ 1500 in an Arrow table. I've gone up to queen size no issues
Old 09-14-2022, 12:54 PM

I spray baste mine using this method. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPaIzuoY6Bg

No crawling around on the floor. I've had excellent luck with this method. I don't have an puckers or tucks on the back and it take minimal time to accomplish.
Old 09-22-2022, 02:57 AM

Look at the Grace Cutie. Join the FB page for the. Cutie
Old 09-22-2022, 07:54 AM

When I read this, I assumed you are thread basting. Have you tried using safety pins? They have safety pins that are bent just enough to make them easier to put in the quilt and a tool to help fasten them. This works well for some since you can easily remove the pins if they interfere with the quilting.

Good luck!