Mold on Sewing Table😡

Old 09-15-2022, 07:20 PM

Default Mold on Sewing Table😡

Ok I am sick to my stomach..If I clean the table with bleach will it kill it? It also isn’t just spots… it is black. We had our stuff in storage since we moved and it was wrapped in shrink wrap and the storage apparently had a leak and didn’t notify us.. they said they did but… any way we lost quite a lot. But I don’t think there is any hope for the table…😡😡

Last edited by quilterj; 09-15-2022 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-15-2022, 07:33 PM

What is it made of? I have had great success using the new Dawn Powerwaskfor getting rid of mold when I don't want to use bleach. I would check it in an out of the way place first.
Old 09-15-2022, 07:35 PM
Power Poster

What is the machine table made of? If it is wood, you might be able to strip it and refinish. If it is plastic, I would do some research to see what is the best to remove mold from plastic.
Old 09-15-2022, 07:54 PM

If you don't want to use bleach, white vinegar will often remove mold.
Old 09-16-2022, 01:26 AM

[QUOTE=QuiltnLady1;8567049]What is it made of? I have had great success using the new Dawn Powerwaskfor getting rid of mold when I don't want to use bleach. I would check it in an out of the way place first.[

It is the Arrow Giget foldable table..I guess it is wood (not sure what kind).
Old 09-16-2022, 08:15 AM

[QUOTE=quilterj;8567062]
Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
What is it made of? I have had great success using the new Dawn Powerwaskfor getting rid of mold when I don't want to use bleach. I would check it in an out of the way place first.[

It is the Arrow Giget foldable table..I guess it is wood (not sure what kind).
Gidget II is made with denser MDF (medium density fiberboard) and steel locking legs. Gidget II will require a custom made insert for her opening. (from the description off of Amazon.) It is basically dense particle board covered with a Melamine layer. Much like the folding table sold at Joann's or any quilt shop. Should wear like iron unless it gets damaged.

If the edges are still sealed you "should" be able to use bleach. I would suggest using paper towels dampened with bleach. Don't let it sit to long, change often. Inspect the seams closely for separation.
Old 09-17-2022, 04:29 AM

Try using one of the commercial mold and mildew removers. Lowes, Home Depot and hardware stores usually carry it. Read the label for instructions, it should say what it can be used on.
Old 09-18-2022, 03:11 AM

If the mold/mildew got into wood, it will keep coming back, as the mold will grow 'fingers' through the wood pores and you won't be able to kill it. Yes, you can wipe down the surface but it will grow back. The black could be mildew or it could be black mold.

I wouldn't chance that it isn't black mold and would dispose of it. Our storage didn't have a leak, but it wasn't climate controlled and it was in a humid area. We were waiting for our place to be ready, so stored our furniture and household items. I feel for you. The bottom of my stomach dropped out when we first saw it, and everyday after while we were going through everything. We ended up losing a lot of personal family items, and replacing pretty much everything else. It was hard, both financially and emotionally.
Old 09-18-2022, 04:08 AM

I've had this happen on a table before and successfully used Peroxide diluted with water. Put it in a spray bottle, spray area and wipe with paper or cloth towel. It hasn't come back after two years and didn't harm the table.