Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Entered my First Show! Some Questions… >

Entered my First Show! Some Questions…

Entered my First Show! Some Questions…

Old 09-16-2022, 07:02 AM

Default Entered my First Show! Some Questions…

Hi! So I am fairly new to quilting but I am actually sewing and teaching sewing full time. I have a lot of experience designing and sewing artistically. I am usually the youngest person around most events and shops that I teach in. This was actually the first quilt show I have entered OR attended!

So I decided to enter an art quilt in my local show, and mostly from looking online at art quilts - my idea seemed to fit well!

But apparently some people, maybe just the judges, were not very happy with my “quilt”… and walking around I could kind of see why? I have the following questions if everyone could help me out I would really appreciate it. I don’t know if this is usual or if I should keep entering quilt shows in the future.

First question- is there an unwritten rule that every quilt has to be a rectangle or square? Mine was the only one in the entire show that didn’t have 4x 90 degree corners- even in the art category!! Is this normal? Mine is a multi sided irregular polygon that follows the lines created in the design. It’s large at about 50”x50”. But I was super disappointed to see a single printed photo panel that was longarmed (no binding, it was turned) in my category won an artistic merit ribbon, but apparently they said mine isn’t a “real” quilt bc it’s not a square?

Second question - my quilt is also the only one I saw with 3d elements. Basically it’s a portrait and I made “clothes” for the person so his shirt collar & buttons, and necktie stick out off the quilt. But everything is very well attached. Is this not acceptable either? There were no written rules about any of this, but someone said the judges may not have approved of that either.

Third question, and really the point of the post!
I met so many people at the show (that I didn’t know) who absolutely loved it and said they were shocked I didn’t get any recognition (there were tons of ribbons at this show). They all encouraged me to enter it into a national show like QuiltCon, but even looking at their galleries …. Again, all I’m seeing is squares and rectangles. I’m worried my “art quilt” may be more suited to art shows than quilt shows!!! Does anyone know of a show that may be more open to a quilt like this? I’m so proud of my quilt and I really want to pursue art quilting and find a likeminded group!!

Overall I guess I’m disappointed in what “art” quilting really is vs. my expectations from what I saw online and even the rules/description for the category . I made a quilt, it has a backing, batting, top, FMQ, binding, piecing, and appliqué. So I’m not sure where the “real” part comes in? Based on what I was already told about the judging of it- I won’t ask for the notes since I don’t want to be any more discouraged!! I’m more than happy with it and it’s my art, but maybe it’s just not something I should enter in any quilt shows again.

thank you!! ❤️
Old 09-16-2022, 07:30 AM
Power Poster

Hello and Welcome!

Hope you get some answers to your questions.
Old 09-16-2022, 07:56 AM

Personally, I believe you have a quilt. Judging has a lot of personal taste involved. Your quilt was probably so different they didn't know what to make of it. I would see if there are any "modern" quilt shows you could enter. It seems like the modern quilt groups would embrace this asthetic. Also, I believe some groups, whether it's quilting, cars or costumes, almost always pick a member to win.

And, get the notes. You may find out that what they marked you down on was something you never would have looked at, but take it with a grain of salt. At the end of the day, you have to do you -- or it's not your art.

You are much braver than me. Go for it at a different quilt or art show.
Old 09-16-2022, 08:37 AM

If you could post a picture, it would be helpful in answering your questions.
Old 09-16-2022, 08:54 AM

Thank you @FoggyButFocused !! I will reconsider asking for the notes. Might need to give it a few days haha. But you definitely help with the confidence to try again!!

I was super shocked to see how “unique” mine was compared to the rest!! I thought there would be similar things. And I never would have thought twice about it and would have assumed it just wasn’t their style , but then I heard the comments !
Old 09-16-2022, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by TypewriterMice View Post
but then I heard the comments !
What were the comments?
Old 09-16-2022, 09:04 AM

@cashs_mom thank you!! can I add a photo from my phone or do I need to upload it to an image site first?
I see the photo link option, but not upload from device

Old 09-16-2022, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

I agree that a picture would be helpful. I also agree that you should definitely read the notes from the judges. They may have good feedback that will explain what they liked or didn't like about your quilt.

I have seen many, many quilts at quilt shows and online that are irregular in shape, and that have tons of embellishment. It is important to read the rules for the category you are entering, and those can vary widely from one show to another. Small shows, like those put on by guilds or by many fairs, don't usually have professional judges, and personal taste may enter into the awarding of prizes. Just remember that not every quilt is going to win an award, and a quilt that wins a blue ribbon at one show may not even place at another. There will always be people who think the judges were wrong. I don't mean this in a mean-spirited way, but if you are going to feel bad when you don't win, then perhaps you shouldn't enter. Making your art is its own reward.

Old 09-16-2022, 09:16 AM

@cashs_mom just the stuff in my post about the judges not thinking it’s a “quilt”, like it’s too weird. That was passed on to me. The people who told me that, said the judges are really old fashioned and maybe not open to new ideas . But of course they could have just been being nice to make me feel better! So I wanted to know if this is how most shows are or I should enter it again somewhere else .

nobody said anything other than nice things to my face!
Old 09-16-2022, 09:21 AM

I only load from my phone. Start a comment and scroll down, click on Go Advanced. Then scroll down to Manage Attachment and click that. A page will come up for you to Choose File. Click there to add photos one at a time. (It may say from your computer but you can add from your phone. I have IPHONE ) anyway after you have added pictures , slide the screen so you can see the UPLOAD button. Click that. IF you didn’t choose a smaller version of your picture it may not upload. If that’s the case you will have to choose small size on bottom of picture when you close your picture from your phone. Let me know if you get stuck and I’ll try to help because I’m wanting to see your work.-Toogie