Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Entered my First Show! Some Questions… >

Entered my First Show! Some Questions…

Entered my First Show! Some Questions…

Old 09-16-2022, 09:36 AM
Power Poster

Art quilts can be anything with a fabric background. I've seen some with so many embellishments I couldn't see the fabric. Art quilts are very hard to judge other then workmanship. Modern quilts are usually not art quilts with 3D elements. Modern quilts are more negative space quilts.
Old 09-16-2022, 09:57 AM

@dunster thank you so much! Okay I’m really relieved to hear you have seen irregular shapes and they’re not off limits! I was so confused by that. And I totally agree with you - I think I didn’t clarify well in my post- it’s not because I feel bad that I didn’t win. I wouldn’t have posted this, if I never got the impression it wasn’t a “quilt” enough (even following all the rules). I got the idea that people, including in charge , thought it didn’t belong there at all? That’s what really stung for me. So I was scared to ask for the notes if that was how depressing the rumor mill is lol . But again - it could have been their way of just being nice to me , like “oh well they’re just super old fashioned, don’t listen to anyone who says it doesn’t belong, blah blah“? I have no idea, these were all people I don’t know

I just don’t want to mail it elsewhere, if it’s not a good fit . Many people were telling me to, but I am really clueless about the whole system/culture so I came here. Also before I heard this I already bought their challenge kit for next year so I kinda feel 🤦🏼‍♀️

I am 1,000% satisfied with the piece and that’s why I really want to show it elsewhere. And honestly I am looking to build this style into professional work. But maybe I need to switch to art shows to display , if quilt shows aren’t really the venue for it . If you know of any specific shows that would like something “weird” please let me know 😊
Old 09-16-2022, 10:03 AM
Power Poster

I would keep entering the style of quilts you want to make. Doesn't matter who likes or dislikes them. If you don't then the other quitler who likes to make different style quilts won't see different quilts in the shows and won't enter. Eventually more and more will be seen at shows. It starts with the first one.
Old 09-16-2022, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by TypewriterMice View Post
@cashs_mom just the stuff in my post about the judges not thinking it’s a “quilt”, like it’s too weird. That was passed on to me. The people who told me that, said the judges are really old fashioned and maybe not open to new ideas . But of course they could have just been being nice to make me feel better! So I wanted to know if this is how most shows are or I should enter it again somewhere else .

nobody said anything other than nice things to my face!
Number 1, I wouldn't take anything that I heard second hand to heart. It's like FB. Everyone skews things to their own advantage.

Number 2, you do need to read the descriptions thoroughly to find out what they are looking for.

Number 3, as Dunster says, you aren't always going to win. First time out, I'd say the odds are even lower.

There are instructions for posting pics here Including Images and Attachments (as of 24 Jan 2020)
Old 09-16-2022, 10:18 AM

@toogie thanks!! I was on mobile site now switch to desktop. Let me know if it doesn’t work.

ALSO !!! if anyone recognizes this please don’t ID me I am new around these parts and don’t wanna be knows as the knew girl shit stirrer from the quilt show omg … lol thank you all! Just pretend you didn’t see this and we’ll never talk about it ever 😂

short description: it’s a portrait of Edgar Allan Poe. Done in MM Nevermore collection and grunge solid only. All the quilting is FMQ in cursive of portions of 4 of his poems . Used matching thread but You can see it much better up close. Also this is the pic from my kitchen floor before pressing … because they actually folded the top edge down behind the bar at the show 😭 and the show background was black so you couldn’t see the shape as well

i know I followed all the written rules for the art category because it was literally “3 layers top/batting/back held together with stitching and binding edge”
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	82CDF003-E820-4DF6-9023-C82464C987FB.jpeg
Views:	223
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	640524  
Old 09-16-2022, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Art quilts can be anything with a fabric background. I've seen some with so many embellishments I couldn't see the fabric. Art quilts are very hard to judge other then workmanship. Modern quilts are usually not art quilts with 3D elements. Modern quilts are more negative space quilts.
thank you so much for saying that - it is exactly what I thought!! Art quilt = go crazy lol. But then mine was so different from all the others I felt like I missed the bus or something 😂
Old 09-16-2022, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I would keep entering the style of quilts you want to make. Doesn't matter who likes or dislikes them. If you don't then the other quitler who likes to make different style quilts won't see different quilts in the shows and won't enter. Eventually more and more will be seen at shows. It starts with the first one.
Ahh thank you. I felt like the odd man out and I should just own it you are so right!! Would you happen to know anywhere that might appreciate the weird a bit more?! 😂
Old 09-16-2022, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
Number 1, I wouldn't take anything that I heard second hand to heart. It's like FB. Everyone skews things to their own advantage.

Number 2, you do need to read the descriptions thoroughly to find out what they are looking for.

Number 3, as Dunster says, you aren't always going to win. First time out, I'd say the odds are even lower.

There are instructions for posting pics here Including Images and Attachments (as of 24 Jan 2020)
got it posted thank you! I went back and checked the rules just to be sure, but for the art category it was super open. 3 layers with stitching and binding (got it) . What really got me down was hearing it maybe didn’t belong there at all 😭
Old 09-16-2022, 11:14 AM

Judging at quilt shows is really based on the judges personal preferences of technique, style and even color. I have a friend who is a renowned Hawaiian quilter for decades and designed and taught Hawaiian quilting entered her quilt in a show and was criticized by the judges basically because they didn't do hand applique and quilting and didn't like that technique. I entered one of my Hawaiian quilts in show and won a blue ribbon but the notes they wrote in one section were really strange indicating they had no idea about Hawaiian quilts. Your quilt is lovely and it is yours and if it makes you happy that's all that matters. Keep quilting, don't give up.
Old 09-16-2022, 11:23 AM

I agree with the others - quilt judging is very subjective. Margaret Solomon Gunn (multi-award winning quilter) has stated more than once that she makes quilts that are designed to please judges and win ribbons. If that is your goal, you have to know the judges and what they like. If your goal is to stretch and grow as a quilter, read the notes and take the judges' comments into consideration (with a grain of salt). Enter your quilt into multiple shows (not just your small local show), both modern and art, to get as much feedback as possible. Whatever you do, don't let this stop you in your artistic endeavors!

Last edited by Peckish; 09-16-2022 at 11:28 AM.