Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brother PQ1500 SL >

Brother PQ1500 SL

Brother PQ1500 SL

Old 04-14-2018, 08:42 AM

Default Brother PQ1500 SL

I am looking at the Brother PQ1500 SL to do my free motion quilting. My older DSM doesn't like to free motion anymore and I need something I can depend on.

If you have this machine, would you mind telling me what you like and dislike about it?
Old 04-14-2018, 08:48 AM

Love this machine! Great for FMS since you can adjust the presser foot tension. Also great for piecing. Drawback- side load bobbin so can not see when empty.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:09 AM

My husband bought this machine for me about a month ago. I'm very new to quilting and sewing, but I read a ton of reviews to get tips after the machine arrived, and it got mostly 5 star ones. As a complete novice with no habits (good or bad) to overcome, this machine was extremely easy for me to get used to.

I love that it's heavy, solid, quiet, easy to thread and operate, and has a very large throat space. I don't love the lighting, but I fixed that with a nice LED strip from Amazon for just a few dollars. I love that it came with the table and all the accessories I needed to do everything. I also love the needle down feature, the automatic thread cutting, the hands-free raising and lowering of the presser foot, and fast bobbin winding. I've read many complaints about the location of the bobbin, but it makes sense to me that it is located there. This machine has an available frame for free motion quilting that would make the bobbin location perfect when in the frame. If I continue quilting, I believe I will eventually invest in the frame.

I also have read complaints about how short the thread cutter leaves the thread, but I always pull my piece outward and away from me, and it has never been an issue.

The needle threader seems a bit fidgety, but it's probably that I'm not doing it correctly. As I said, I am a complete beginner.

Overall, I absolutely love the machine. It only does straight stitches, but I have a Kenmore that I bought 25 years ago and used twice. It's in perfect condition and does multiple stitches, so I can always use that if need be. The Brother strikes me as a very sturdy workhorse that will be with me for years. It was easy to learn and after only a month I am quite confident in using it.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:22 AM

This machine is a real workhorse. I needed a new machine and wanted a mechanical one. Chose this after checking all of the reviews. I believe it is modeled after the Babylock Jane. There are only two drawbacks which are overcome with practice. First, the bobbin is in a somewhat awkward position and secondly, there is no speed control. I live in a small town in the NC mountains so there was no dealer near me. I ordered from a sewing machine dealer on the internet. Price couldn't be beat. I mostly use it for free motion quilting.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:00 AM
Power Poster

I got a used older model - the PQ1500 Nouvelle. I love it. I use it primarily for FMQ. I did have to experiment with needle sizes and now it it good with any thread. I also have to remember not to be a speed demon because that will break thread on FMQ. I would recommend this machine.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:32 PM
Power Poster

My Daughter has a Brother PQ1500, can't remember the letters. She loves it and uses it for anything. She has had it for about 5 or more years, had no problems with it.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:19 PM

I have the PQ1500s (Nouvelle). I bought it used from someone whowas selling it on eBay. I love it for both piecing ad fmq. Ikve had it for several years now and find it very easy to maintain. It’s not picky about thread and has sewn through every thing I’ve tried with no problem. It’s a real workhorse. The only drawback for me is that the needle threader is finicky so sometimes it takes me several attempts to get it to thread the needle.

Rob
Old 09-16-2022, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
I got a used older model - the PQ1500 Nouvelle. I love it. I use it primarily for FMQ. I did have to experiment with needle sizes and now it it good with any thread. I also have to remember not to be a speed demon because that will break thread on FMQ. I would recommend this machine.
I am struggling getting my tension correct on this machine when FMQ. I have followed setting the feed dogs and the tension on the foot. Still, my stitches are not connecting. I have tried a new needle and still have a problem. When sewing a straight stitch it is fine. What size needle did you use?
Old 09-16-2022, 09:31 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by stutznegger View Post
I am struggling getting my tension correct on this machine when FMQ. I have followed setting the feed dogs and the tension on the foot. Still, my stitches are not connecting. I have tried a new needle and still have a problem. When sewing a straight stitch it is fine. What size needle did you use?
i have since traded that machine for a newer model. Still the same Machine. I never fool with tension. It isn't an issue for me. Make sure you are threading it right. There is a Facebook group that is helpful
Old 09-16-2022, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by stutznegger View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by your stitches are not connecting? Do you mean it isn't forming a stitch?